Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Correct Size For Winter Tires

For the first time as a car owner I am faced with the need to buy winter tires. My current "summer" weather tires are the OEM tires that came with the car, DUNLOP SPORTMAXX 215/45ZR17.

My Lexus IS200 specs sheet states the car can also be fitted with 205/55R16 tires. Given the price difference between low profile winter tires and normal profile winter tires, I am thinking to go for the 16" tires but have some questions I hope some of you can clarify for me:

1) Can I mount 205/55R16 winter tires in my current 17" alloy wheels? Or do I need to buy 4 new 16" wheels?

2) Is it advisable to buy separate wheels (regardless the size of the tires) for winter tires? I have read that the process of mounting and dismounting tires and fitting them in the wheels usually damages the tires and scratches the wheels.

3) How is the performance of all weather tires (M+S) in "summer" weather? Does having all weather tires reduce fuel efficiency in "summer" months?

Thank you!

For the first time as a car owner I am faced with the need to buy winter tires. My current "summer" weather tires are the OEM tires that came with the car, DUNLOP SPORTMAXX 215/45ZR17.

My Lexus IS200 specs sheet states the car can also be fitted with 205/55R16 tires. Given the price difference between low profile winter tires and normal profile winter tires, I am thinking to go for the 16" tires but have some questions I hope some of you can clarify for me:

1) Can I mount 205/55R16 winter tires in my current 17" alloy wheels? Or do I need to buy 4 new 16" wheels?

2) Is it advisable to buy separate wheels (regardless the size of the tires) for winter tires? I have read that the process of mounting and dismounting tires and fitting them in the wheels usually damages the tires and scratches the wheels.

3) How is the performance of all weather tires (M+S) in "summer" weather? Does having all weather tires reduce fuel efficiency in "summer" months?

Thank you!

is this a joke?????

1)lets say you have size 12 feet can you fit in too a size four trainer???????? the answer is no same with your tyre size..

2)you will need seperate wheels

3)very noisey and dont like cornering hard!!

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you!

That is the most funniest thing i've read on here LOL 16" tyres on 17" rims LMFAO

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links