Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi Guys

For the 1st time, the speedometer did not move until she was doing inexcess of 20mph. I have searched and found a similar post from 4 years ago which was unanswered.

Has anyone else encountered this issue? What was the outcome?

There is a known problem with the tachometer needle sticking and this may also apply to the speedo.

When manufactured both needle spindles were lubricated with thin machine oil and an excess of this caused the sticky needles,the cure was to remove this excess oil with a cotton bud,this of course means stripping down the pod to gain access.

If you give the dashboard above the pod a sharp tap on the top it normally frees off the needle.

Follow the link below and have a look at post # 59

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls400/225935-how-to-fix-your-speedo-needle-when-it-does-not-work-4.html

Could it be the speedo sensor. I had this problem with my old Scorpio. Managed to get a pre-owned sensor from a salvage place

and after fitting all was well. On second thoughts, if it corrects with a bit of a thump it probably is just sticky.

Hi guys and thanks for your comments.

At the moment, I've only had the one incidence, which corrected itself. No doubt its a sign of things to come.

Steve, thanks for the link. The tutorial included in post #59 for removal of the instrument cluster, I have seen before. It prompts the question regarding how to remove of the MKIII cluster? It doesn't have the screws on the underside of the top lip or any other visible (to me) screws. I keep threatening to replace the blown bulb in "D" but dont want to break the trim in the process.

Hi guys and thanks for your comments.

At the moment, I've only had the one incidence, which corrected itself. No doubt its a sign of things to come.

Steve, thanks for the link. The tutorial included in post #59 for removal of the instrument cluster, I have seen before. It prompts the question regarding how to remove of the MKIII cluster? It doesn't have the screws on the underside of the top lip or any other visible (to me) screws. I keep threatening to replace the blown bulb in "D" but dont want to break the trim in the process.

It may be worth sending a PM to Maurice (benfur) as he breaks LS400s and has probably removed a series III cluster,knowing Lexus if there are no screws it clips on.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links