Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I've been having some problems with the alarm siren going off even when the car (GS300 Mk1 Sport) was being driven. I'd put this down to the bonnet catch and after a bit of WD40 seemed to be fixed, however I'd also noted that the electric cooling fan in the engine bay was coming on as soon as the ignition came on.

I disconnected and recconnected the fan but no changes, except that when I took the key out of the ignition, the dash was still lit up, the steering wheel didn't retract and all the cabin electrics were still live.

So has anyone got any suggestions as to what has happened and how to fix it?

At the moment I'm having to disconnect the Battery every time I stop the car.

I've been having some problems with the alarm siren going off even when the car (GS300 Mk1 Sport) was being driven. I'd put this down to the bonnet catch and after a bit of WD40 seemed to be fixed, however I'd also noted that the electric cooling fan in the engine bay was coming on as soon as the ignition came on.

I disconnected and recconnected the fan but no changes, except that when I took the key out of the ignition, the dash was still lit up, the steering wheel didn't retract and all the cabin electrics were still live.

At the moment I'm having to disconnect the battery every time I stop the car.

try disconnecting the fan again but dont reconnect it, and try your ignition, if its ok then you have a problem with the fan or the loom going to it by shorting

try disconnecting the fan again but dont reconnect it, and try your ignition, if its ok then you have a problem with the fan or the loom going to it by shorting

Tried that but it makes no difference.

Also noticed that if I switch the ignition off, though the dash stays lit, the air con and radio switch off, though the arial doesn't retract. If I swith the radio off with the ignition turned on, the radio goes down and stays down when I remove the key.

This has really got me stumped as some of the electronics are reacting to switching off, such as the radio, aircon and the engine stops and starts as normal.

Also noticed that if I switch the ignition off, though the dash stays lit, the air con and radio switch off, though the arial doesn't retract. If I swith the radio off with the ignition turned on, the radio goes down and stays down when I remove the key.

This has really got me stumped as some of the electronics are reacting to switching off, such as the radio, aircon and the engine stops and starts as normal.

then i cant help you on this one sorry, sounds like you got live wire arking accross somewhere, have you had any work done before you had the trouble

then i cant help you on this one sorry, sounds like you got live wire arking accross somewhere, have you had any work done before you had the trouble

Nope, I only use the car in winter as I commute on a motorbike the rest of the year, so that car's been sat for a while.

Arghhhhh I hate electrical problems

Nope, I only use the car in winter as I commute on a motorbike the rest of the year, so that car's been sat for a while.

ok if you only use it in winter? i take it you take Battery off when not in use, if you got any loose wirers going to Battery have you put one onto wrung terminal ?

ok if you only use it in winter? i take it you take battery off when not in use, if you got any loose wirers going to battery have you put one onto wrung terminal ?

Usually leave it on a trickle charger but put a new Battery in and it's the right way round. Went back to the old Battery and still the same

well i am sorry i cant help you but someone will be able to help you on here, but it sounds like you got a live feed going down a what should be a closed, hope you sort it soon if not get diadnostic done.

ok if you only use it in winter? i take it you take battery off when not in use, if you got any loose wirers going to battery have you put one onto wrung terminal ?

Usually leave it on a trickle charger but put a new Battery in and it's the right way round. Went back to the old Battery and still the same

well i am sorry i cant help you but someone will be able to help you on here, but it sounds like you got a live feed going down a what should be a closed, hope you sort it soon if not get diadnostic done.

As the car has been standing unused also check for corroded fuses and relays.

A stuck relay may be hot, any thing thats electrical that is affected by damp etc

A stuck relay may be hot, any thing thats electrical that is affected by damp etc

I pulled all the relays in the engine bay last night and it made no difference.

Does anyone have the details of what systems the ignition switch connects to and how?

I pulled all the relays in the engine bay last night and it made no difference.

Does anyone have the details of what systems the ignition switch connects to and how?

you have got a short somewhere, by the way did you know that you can damage your regulater in your alternator by charging the Battery if you dont dissconnecting it?

where did you spray the wd40 on switch or bonnet catch, if it was the switch unplug it and give it a good blow out to remove wd40 which could be making a short

Be very careful, Just recently I had an ignition switch that went wrong. It ended with the starter motor burning out which was very frightening I couldn't turn it off because of the faulty switch, my wife and I stood and waited for the car to go up in flames, which fortunately it didn't but lots of smoke. To cut a long story short, RAC recovery, Taxis, Hire car, costs to me nearly £1,000 and that was with the RAC paying recovery and Taxi's. The first clue which I did not realise at the time was the steering wheel not always retracting. Get it fixed now!!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links