Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Disappointed With Vais Sl2I-Up

I got the dealer to fit a Vais SL2i-UP in my 2005 LS430 and it's a bit disappointing. The sound quality is quite poor, Vais support is almost non-existent and the functionality is severely lacking. With the generation of Lexus radio that I have, I cannot browse by artist or album. I have to create a playlist for all the music that I want to listen to and there is no 'browsing in context' where I can see a list of previous tracks and following tracks relative to the current track. All my music on the iPod is lossless but the sound quality through the ML system is very weak and lacking in any depth, tonal range, timbre or presence.

Luckily, getting the SL2i-UP fitted didn't cost me anything. I'm on the hunt for a better iPod integration for my 2005 LS430. An audio fitter recommended a Dice unit. Does anyone have any experience of Dice units or any other iPod integrations that work more intuitively and offer more functionality? The integration is limited to MD-emulation via the CD autochanger interface so I cannot do MP3-text emulation because of the age of my nav unit. I want to be able to use the Lexus radio, touch-screen and steering wheel-mounted controls to control the iPod fully and be able to browse albums, artists, playlists, genres, audiobooks, etc.

The sound quality issue doesn't sound right, has it definitely been installed correctly?

I'm no expert but I think in terms of control that's the best you're going to get without using some sort of aftermarket controller.

Reason for this is that the stereo doesn't have MP3 support to be able to read folders and such - what it does is it thinks of the iPod as an MD changer. Therefore each playlist is like a different MD in the changer, it isn't reading the iPod as an iPod as newer stereos would do.

• 2 weeks later...

I got the dealer to fit a Vais SL2i-UP in my 2005 LS430 and it's a bit disappointing. The sound quality is quite poor, Vais support is almost non-existent and the functionality is severely lacking. With the generation of Lexus radio that I have, I cannot browse by artist or album. I have to create a playlist for all the music that I want to listen to and there is no 'browsing in context' where I can see a list of previous tracks and following tracks relative to the current track. All my music on the iPod is lossless but the sound quality through the ML system is very weak and lacking in any depth, tonal range, timbre or presence.

Luckily, getting the SL2i-UP fitted didn't cost me anything. I'm on the hunt for a better iPod integration for my 2005 LS430. An audio fitter recommended a Dice unit. Does anyone have any experience of Dice units or any other iPod integrations that work more intuitively and offer more functionality? The integration is limited to MD-emulation via the CD autochanger interface so I cannot do MP3-text emulation because of the age of my nav unit. I want to be able to use the Lexus radio, touch-screen and steering wheel-mounted controls to control the iPod fully and be able to browse albums, artists, playlists, genres, audiobooks, etc.

I installed a Vais Technology MultiMediaLinQ in my 2004 LS430. It is High End digital music, cristal clear sound! I'm very happy with that MP3 adapter. The best thing is that I do not longer have to press the "I agree" button every time I switch on ignition. You will find more details at http://www.multimedialinq.com/

Your 2005 LS430 has gen 4 navigation. It supports MP3 text:

md_ch_999_sm.jpg

but you are right, only a MD-emulation is possible with gen 4 nav. However, I can sell brand new MultiMediaLinQ for just 120 GBP net price. PM me if you're interested.

Native Video Interface for iPod touch and Iphone coming soon: SL2iC

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links