Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tyre Choices For Rx 300

• 1 month later...

When I got the car (2nd hand), it was fitted with Scorpions, and when I had to change them, I chose to go for Pirelli again: Scorpion STR Mud+Snow 225/70 R16.

The old tires had not impressed me very much, but I was blaming the previous owner for lack of maintenance and excessive wear.

After a careful evaluation and 50k kms, I've reached the conclusion that these tires suck (at least on my RX300 I mark 1).

They're noisy, but, worst of all, their performance on rain and snow is really poor, even dangerous. Particularly, their grip on snow or ice in almost inexistent, in spite of being marked as M+S. Braking downhill, even on a very, very, gentle slope on fresh snow, is almost impossible: you're a risk to yourself anyone who should cross your way.

When I bought 4 jap winter tires, my life changed.

It's hard to admit it, especially for an Italian like me, but if you want to go for Pirelli, then choose their premium range (Zero's). As far as I'm concerned, next time I'm setting on Michelins.

When I got the car (2nd hand), it was fitted with Scorpions, and when I had to change them, I chose to go for Pirelli again: Scorpion STR Mud+Snow 225/70 R16.

The old tires had not impressed me very much, but I was blaming the previous owner for lack of maintenance and excessive wear.

After a careful evaluation and 50k kms, I've reached the conclusion that these tires suck (at least on my RX300 I mark 1).

They're noisy, but, worst of all, their performance on rain and snow is really poor, even dangerous. Particularly, their grip on snow or ice in almost inexistent, in spite of being marked as M+S. Braking downhill, even on a very, very, gentle slope on fresh snow, is almost impossible: you're a risk to yourself anyone who should cross your way.

When I bought 4 jap winter tires, my life changed.

It's hard to admit it, especially for an Italian like me, but if you want to go for Pirelli, then choose their premium range (Zero's). As far as I'm concerned, next time I'm setting on Michelins.

The Dunlop 235/55/18 on mine are utter crap. Not only that, the previous owner had stuck to the recommended tyre pressures which would appear to be too low as both edges on the two front tyres have worn excessively. Some one said they all wear like that on the 300 RX range and there's nothing you can really do about it. I have added two pounds of pressure all round.

I have fitted bridgestones, they only last 10k on the front and maybe 15k on the rear, not a good looking tyre

Now I only fit Kumho's, getting at least 18k alround, but run better with 2psi more than recommended.

These tyres also only cost me 105 each compared to best price of 150 for bridgestones ( lexus quoted me 185 each).

Most of the used RX's on the forecourt have kumho or Hankook!

I found the Continental tyres to be the best for grip and handling [in Summer conditions] and they come OE fit to the Cayenne. No doubt useless in the snow and weather we are having currently, but thats we have snow tyres ;)

Love the Contis - hated the Crapstones and Dunlops.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links