Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hid Kit And Mot.

Is there any problems with fitting aftermarket hid conversion kits and mot's/the law.??

I don't wanna fit a kit and get tugged constantly by the law. Every company that I've seen that sells them state off road use only.

Any help appreciated guys.

the law and mot rules differ mate.....

but all i will say is if you fit them get them alighned properly..

i have had mine fitted for over a year and a half now and have never had any problems with either the police or mot..

im running 10k's for dipped(i like the blue look)and 8k's for my full beam.

just get them fitted you wont be dissapointed!!!!!!!!!! i will never have a car without hid's again!!

i even converted the wifes car she didnt want them i fitted them now she wont go back to normal bulbs and she's a traffic cop!!!!!!

Ormi, I was going to ask you a question along these lines actually...

I was going to get some new headlights imported from USA. However I hear that their beams face straight ahead, rather than slightly to one side like UK cars. After speaking to a local garage, they said that this would constitute an MOT failure?

If that's true, is it easy to re-align the headlights to meet UK spec (they are OEM)? Or would they be so far out-of-whack that it wouldn't be possible?

Ormi, I was going to ask you a question along these lines actually...

I was going to get some new headlights imported from USA. However I hear that their beams face straight ahead, rather than slightly to one side like UK cars. After speaking to a local garage, they said that this would constitute an MOT failure?

If that's true, is it easy to re-align the headlights to meet UK spec (they are OEM)? Or would they be so far out-of-whack that it wouldn't be possible?

Yes they will fail on the beam pattern. You have to make sure the headlights have a horizontal adjustment - some do and some don't.

USA light beam will look like __/__/ and you need \__\__, so you will be blinding oncoming traffic constantly

From what I've heard, USA beams are straight rather than angled, so it shouldn't be toooo bad? I'm just wondering if the OEM lights have the neccesary adjustments to point them far enough to the left to pass an MOT.

I guess a similar question would be: can the UK OEM lights be adjusted to point straight ahead. If so, the USA ones should hopefully be able to point far enough left.

I guess a similar question would be: can the UK OEM lights be adjusted to point straight ahead. If so, the USA ones should hopefully be able to point far enough left.

No the OEM cannot be adjusted as far as I know, the actual lights are different. I thought you were talking about aftermarket lights, of which some have adjustment so they work all over the world.

No the OEM cannot be adjusted as far as I know, the actual lights are different. I thought you were talking about aftermarket lights, of which some have adjustment so they work all over the world.

Bummer. I found a company that uses OEM lights, black chromes the insides, adds angel eyes and makes it all plug and play idiot proof.

I just dont trust myself to make a good job of it.

Bummer. I found a company that uses OEM lights, black chromes the insides, adds angel eyes and makes it all plug and play idiot proof.

I just dont trust myself to make a good job of it.

Are you talking about AAC? If so they can do RHD, I've been in touch with them before about doing a projector conversion.

I am LOL! And cool, TBH I didn't even bother to ask, but now I know - awesome :D

If you're going to go through all that hassle and expense, get them to do the projector conversion as well - that's what I wanted to do but due to the cost decided against it in the end.

I did see some of the lights with the projector conversions on them, but I couldn't work out what it did exactly? Is it just increasing the spread/intensity of the light by magnification lenses?

The main difference for me is you get that perfect flat cut-off that you get with most cars nowadays. Also means you can have no problems at all with legality as there won't be any excess light scatter any more.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links