Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

220D Se-L Mm Check Vsc Limp Mode

Hi Everyone

Have had my 220D SEL MM two years now, and fortunately (up to now) never had a single problem with it...

However, yesterday the dashboard lit up (engine and VSC light) and the message was "CHECK VSC"

I've had a search on here, and have seen people saying it can be anything from a bulb or diesel cap seal, right up to a £1900 catylitic converter change!

I'm not sure I'm right, but I believe Lexus offer a 48 month warranty?

The car is 49 months old... !!!

However, I have also read of quite a few on here with the same problem saying their Local Lexus dealership repaired this for free as. a. a goodwill gesture, b. because the cat converter actually has a longer warranty than other parts.

This does appear a common fault - can anyone advise what is the best thing to say to the dealership to get this fixed free - as with two newborn twins, I REALLY can't afford this!

Also, can anyone confirm that the cat converter is covered on a longer warranty on these models? I think I read somewhere it's either 5 or 6 years (both of which I'm well within!)

Finally, the car is occasionally going into limp home mode - not all the time, only occasionally, and is not starting in limp mode - even if Im diving and it goes into limp mode, just re-starting it starts it up out of limp mode...

Unfortunately, my local dealership which I need to get it to is over 70 miles away, and I need to be sure I'm safe to drive it on the motorway - and also, if it is safe, is there any way I can disable the limp home mode just to get it to the dealership?

Thanks to anyone who can help for any advice or experience with this kind of thing!

Nidgemo from RAWK?

Think the standard warranty is 36 months!

Yes! Small world!

Yeah, I checked into the standard warranty since and it is 3. No bad thing, would have been REALLY annoying if it was 4!

I did take out an extended warranty from the dealer when buying the car (an independent) so hopefull they'll cover it - though I can't see any mention of a cat converter on their list of items covered...

Small world indeed. Don't see you on there any more. Did you get p!$$ed off with the huge numbers of whoppers on there? If you think it was bad then you should see it now!

If your warranty from the dealer was for 2 years then you should be alright.

I did take out an extended warranty from the dealer when buying the car (an independent) so hopefull they'll cover it - though I can't see any mention of a cat converter on their list of items covered...

I had the same issue, turned out to be the EGR valve. Also had the extended warranty, first they said that EGR valve was covered but CAT wasnt, then the EGR valve wasnt covered but as it was replaced less than 12 months ago (clearly a common fault!) they did it but indicated that the CAT wasnt covered and if it was damaged they would need to raise a case with Lexus GB - apparently the case's are quote successfully with a lot of owners getting everything for nothing.

The Lexus garage did suggest that the EGR valve was moving to an extended cover from Lexus due to the many many failures.

I had the same issue, turned out to be the EGR valve. Also had the extended warranty, first they said that EGR valve was covered but CAT wasnt, then the EGR valve wasnt covered but as it was replaced less than 12 months ago (clearly a common fault!) they did it but indicated that the CAT wasnt covered and if it was damaged they would need to raise a case with Lexus GB - apparently the case's are quote successfully with a lot of owners getting everything for nothing.

The Lexus garage did suggest that the EGR valve was moving to an extended cover from Lexus due to the many many failures.

thanks mick.

did check my service history,, and last december I had an egr valve and cat mod fitted, so hopefully this covers me.

UPDATE - My car was also due a service, so I got a full service, engine oil, oil filter, air filter, pollen filter, fuel filter etc, and when I collected the car, the fault was still showing, but the car was no longer im limp mode - went home, started the car the next morning and all was normal.

Strange.

Has this happened to anyone, that the "CHECK VSC" message clears itself? If so, did it come back again?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links