Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is 220D Sport Oil Consumption

Hi all

I am new to the site and have joined as i need advice on a problem i may have.

My Is220D Sport which i bought in june this year 08 reg went into the garage for a winter check last saturday and it needed topping up with 1 liter of oil they have now placed the car on a oil comsumption check 1000 miles and have told me the car might need all its pistons replaceing and they will need the car for 2 weeks i am novice with car stuff but this sounds like a huge problem also the fuel comsuption is high and mpg is around 30 mg or less at the mo i duuno what to do i feel like giveing them the car back as i dont fancy haveing an engine rebuild done when i have only had the car 4/5 months i had a brand new Golf 2.0tdi sport from new had it 4 years and all it cost me was £180 for the service and i would get 60 mpg + i know the lexus would not do the same but i did not expect it do under 30 mpg for a diesel and adive would be great

Thanks

Lee

Hi all

I am new to the site and have joined as i need advice on a problem i may have.

My Is220D Sport which i bought in june this year 08 reg went into the garage for a winter check last saturday and it needed topping up with 1 liter of oil they have now placed the car on a oil comsumption check 1000 miles and have told me the car might need all its pistons replaceing and they will need the car for 2 weeks i am novice with car stuff but this sounds like a huge problem also the fuel comsuption is high and mpg is around 30 mg or less at the mo i duuno what to do i feel like giveing them the car back as i dont fancy haveing an engine rebuild done when i have only had the car 4/5 months i had a brand new Golf 2.0tdi sport from new had it 4 years and all it cost me was £180 for the service and i would get 60 mpg + i know the lexus would not do the same but i did not expect it do under 30 mpg for a diesel and adive would be great

Thanks

Lee

MPG is a hot topic on this forum with mixed feedback with the 220D. Motorway journeys for me give around 38-40MPG at around 70 - 75 MPH although the gearing on the sport means at that speed revs are higher so less economical.

I can drive in 6th on A roads at 50+ MPH and then you can squeeze up high 40's MPG but to be honest keeping it high is a chore and not very enjoyable!

I drive as I want and tend to give it a bit here and there and get around 32MPG mixed which I agree is poor but I enjoy the car and the gearing setup on the sport IMO makes the drive better.

There are some owners on here who confirm much better MPG and there are various cases of engine rebuilds due to oil loss, head gaskets etc. The EGR valve can affect your MPG if dirty but mine had a new one last month without any real increase in MPG.

My 60K service was done 9,000 miles ago and I do not have any oil warning lights - havent checked manually though, maybe I should :unsure:

Hi thanks for the reply

I guess low mpg is just something we all have to live with my main concern is oil useage i dont do a lot of miles in the lexus due to haveing a van i use for work the car when i bought it had 7567 miles on it and when it went for the winter check it had 9789 miles on and in 2222 the car has used 1 liter of oil i have had the car for 4/5 months now and tbh i dont fancy haveing the engine rebuilt going to see what happens when i have done the 1000 mile's they have asked and take it from there tbh tho if the engine needs rebuilding i think i will prob try get them to change it or send it to auction and go back to Audi/Vw

Thanks for replying

Lee

such an oil consumption is certainly not pleasant, however normally the car manufacturers claim that only consumption of more than 1 litre of oil per 600 miles can be the reason for further warranty action. No comment, for me this number is unbelievable. Check manual page 267.

If we had "normal" car I wouldn't care but I guess that higher oil consumptiom may affect the DCAT and it may also be the reason of poor economy, or other problems in the future.

Can you reject the car?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links