Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Good morning,

I have owned a GS300 and IS250 but we are looking for something bigger for the family.

An LS460 SE-L seems to be a good option for us but I have some questions.

Steering racks and front suspension seem to be weak points and, from what I have read, cost about the price of the car to replace!

Heart is saying LS460 but head is saying GS300 or RX450h.

Any advice welcome.

Thank you,

Dan

If you are referring to the steering resting in an angle - then this could possibly be resolved with a software update - this is what I have read on the USA forum.

have you considered the LS430? compared to the 460 it has some advantages:

• Slightly better MPG
  • Lower road tax
  • Better aerodynamics and looks (IMO)
  • The 6 speed gearbox in the 430 is considered better than the 8 speed in 460 - especially on local runs
  • The 430 has better quality interior than the 460 - 460 suffers from worn interior pillars and faulty glovebox lids
  • The 430 is quiter and engine smoother (general opinon of owners)
  • Like 2

Dan hi, I concur, reading some of the Ls460 posts does reveal potential big big suspension and other costs at what for older Ls 400/430 Lexus owners, might be considered premature miles wear and tear 

However, compared to other Marques the Ls460 wear factors might be simply in line and acceptable ! 

An Ls600 might give you comparable owning costs with better comfort whatever 

Newbie 7777 here really enjoys his new to him Ls600 and has learnt a great deal on ownership costs …… alongside his Bentley too 

Good luck coming to the decision that’s right for you 

As you may know, I’m really quite averse to lots of this modern “ fragile” electronic and other failure likelihoods ….. at to me quite horrendous repair costs ……. hence I’m very happy with 2 X Ls400s and my 2006 Honda Legend 

All much simpler technology in amazing comfy and reliable cars 

Your deliberations commence ……. 
Malc 

Thanks for the replies so far.

I get the point regarding LS430 vs LS460 and again, probably, the LS400 being more reliable than either!

There is something about the LS460 that just appeals to me over the LS430 (which is still an excellent car) and I fear i would always think, '...what if....' not going for the LS460.

LS600 an interesting one, perhaps even more complicated(?), but they seem double the price of an LS460.

I have seen what looks like a good example of an LS460 on Autotrader, up for £8000 but I know he would take closer to £5000, but I have not seen yet.

I also like the idea of a Honda Legend - smaller but 4x4, lovely V6, Honda reliability etc

Dan

• Like 1

My first Lexus was a LS460 SE-L, bought from Lexus Carlisle and the first owner before me was a business owner who specified every extra and pack which in my naivety I thought was all standard equipment, how wrong I was when I began to understand the model compared to less equipped examples.   

This was my path forever and 6 Lexus cars later, a LS500h being my latest vehicle I never looked back.   What a joy it was and it never let me down, nor has any Lexus let me down.    I did fit two new upper B post trims due to wear and even re trimmed the lower section in a matching coloured leather despite the original covering being vinyl.   A full one dealer only serviced history and Lexus Carlisle turned out to be and still are an exceptional dealership having bought a new ES300h from them in 2019.    If you look at my thread  titled "So Proud it would be an Understatement" you will see that very car just after I sold it to Phil Walker Car Sales of Sheffield who chased me for 2 months when I was first thinking of selling it.  

You won't regret a LS460 SE-L  

SAM_0917.jpg

SAM_0919.jpg

pedal 1.jpg

SAM_0909.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, junglie said:

I also like the idea of a Honda Legend - smaller but 4x4, lovely V6, Honda reliability etc

absolutely  ......  AWD. 3.5 ltr  and a very very rare car in the UK, only something like 286 , 2006 to 2012 models ever sold here .........  but prices reflect a car that no-one really wants these days

Malc 

Because my own LS460 suffered from the worn out upper B Post trims which were covered with the same fabric as the headlining but could be bought separately I bought a pair but the lower B post covers were too expensive to replace which were also suffering from wear but looked worse because the material was vinyl and beyond saving so I removed the vinyl and  Re trimmed both lower B post covers  with leather I had over from an earlier job years ago on Jaguar which had the same coloured leather seats.  Removing these vinyl covers was easy but the leather work took longer because of the intricate shape I had to stretch and glue the leather around. 

019.JPG

002.JPG

001.JPG

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SH20 said:

Because my own LS460 suffered from the worn out upper B Post trims which were covered with the same fabric as the headlining but could be bought separately I bought a pair but the lower B post covers were too expensive to replace which were also suffering from wear but looked worse because the material was vinyl and beyond saving so I removed the vinyl and  Re trimmed both lower B post covers  with leather I had over from an earlier job years ago on Jaguar which had the same coloured leather seats.  Removing these vinyl covers was easy but the leather work took longer because of the intricate shape I had to stretch and glue the leather around. 

019.JPG

002.JPG

001.JPG

That appears to be a very good match - factory like

Picture is the old vinyl skin removed and the bare shell awaiting recovering in leather.   The photo of the badly worn upper suede like trims was taken before any other retrimming took place.  

The same coloured leather I used was the left overs of a full hide I purchased to cover the rear centre console I made for my Jaguar XJ Sovereign.   It gave me the option to have a four seat arrangement when the console was in place and because I made it with quick release in mind  it allowed me to revert back to a five seat arrangement but for the most part I left it in place and when I traded the car in against my first Lexus, a LS460  I removed the console and sold it to a Jaguar enthusiast rather than leave it in the car.   

010.JPG

011.JPG

004.JPG

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

To keep the thread going…….

I viewed a 2007 LS460 SE-L last week. It was not in great condition externally but confident a good clean and alloy wheel refurb would have things back in shape. Internally was generally fine.

I thought it was a nice place to sit but would obviously take time to get it ‘just right’ but that comes with fiddling as you get to know it.

It felt a little baggy whilst driving, I think it was this example not the model obviously, but you can see how effective they are as a cruiser. A little wing mirror whistle but I guess that is because everything else is so quiet!

I am still interested and have a couple I may see; not sure of forum rules of posting so people can advise?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202402096407701?utm_source=product-service&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=at_braze_cars_ios_email_action_manual_alerts_email-a-friend

This looks a little more ‘messed’ with; blue wheel nuts and carbon fibre steering wheel trim. Get rid of that and possibly a nice car underneath?

Looks like the silver 460 for £8K C2 ULD has had the front near side door painted. Silver is the hardest colour to match IMO  or maybe it's the light/reflection.   Have you stood next to it yet?

22 minutes ago, SH20 said:

Looks like the silver 460 for £8K C2 ULD has had the front near side door painted. Silver is the hardest colour to match IMO  or maybe it's the light/reflection.   Have you stood next to it yet?

I have not seen it yet so can’t comment.

Good spot though.

4 hours ago, junglie said:

The bumper also looks mis-aligned on the drivers side - I'm very surprised he has entertained such a low offer - good luck

From the service book last stamp was May 2019, although description says last service Nov 2023. I'd be interested in if and where it was serviced for those 4 years and 25k miles.

I'd also be wary of someone accepting such a big price drop, as it looks like they just want shot of it.

That said, it might all be fine, I'd just be cautious.

He has had it serviced by a Toyota mechanic - happy to give out number so I can chase it up (the risk you take I guess!).

It came down to £5,500 originally but no takers so he put it up to £10,000 and now down to £8,000.

• Like 1

There are positives about the car:

• Advert is very good
  • Car clean and well prepped
  • Matching premium tyres 
  • Has heated steering
  • Price

I would go for it  - btw I failed to bring up the MOT history

1 hour ago, Malc1 said:

The vendor is “ hiding “ the regn no. to avoid it being sensibly checked maybe 
Malc 

Or they might just be hiding the plate to stop scammers cloning his car details.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have not viewed the Isleworth one as Ed, the seller, works random days and we have never found one that works for both of us!

I’m keen to see it as it looks a good one but understand if you get there before me!!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links