Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Help Selling Car Please

monster

Hi everyone,

After advertising the RX300 on the autotrader I had a call from a guy wanting to look at it. The same day I had another 2 calls from different numbers asking to view the car (all 3 with african accents) - which was suspicious. The car had been on the autotrader for about 1 week with no calls until this guys phoned. Anyway, he has just been to look at the car, took it for a test drive, and left a deposit to buy it. He mentioned that he was buying the car for his sister and shipping it to Africa for her. Anyway, I'm very cautious about how to proceed with this and very wary in case there could be a scam involved (for no other reason other than the other phone calls).

Anyway, any advice on what to be careful of next would be appreciated, or at least what form I should take the balance in (cash, bankers draft, etc).

I'll be sorry to see the car go but the juice is costing us a fortune with the miles being travelled.

Thanks in advance folks.

Hi everyone,

After advertising the RX300 on the autotrader I had a call from a guy wanting to look at it. The same day I had another 2 calls from different numbers asking to view the car (all 3 with african accents) - which was suspicious. The car had been on the autotrader for about 1 week with no calls until this guys phoned. Anyway, he has just been to look at the car, took it for a test drive, and left a deposit to buy it. He mentioned that he was buying the car for his sister and shipping it to Africa for her. Anyway, I'm very cautious about how to proceed with this and very wary in case there could be a scam involved (for no other reason other than the other phone calls).

Anyway, any advice on what to be careful of next would be appreciated, or at least what form I should take the balance in (cash, bankers draft, etc).

I'll be sorry to see the car go but the juice is costing us a fortune with the miles being travelled.

Thanks in advance folks.

I work in the trade and deal with all sorts of people from different back grounds. The only advise you need is to make sure you only accept a bank transfer as payment when it is confirmed in your bank. Do not accept bank drafts as they are easily forged and banks will no longer verify them if you call and personal cheques for any amount. If you take cash go with the buyer and pay it in the bank before you hand over the keys. If you do this you will have no problems.

So from the details I have given, as long as I deal with a bank transfer or cash directly to the bank there shouldn't be anything to worry about? Isn't it a little dodgy giving bank details to perform a bank transfer? I've never done one of these before and have always been wary about passing any bank details out. I shouldn't be concerned but this is how society is these days (not long since had my fingers burnt with an IS220d with a knackered engine so don't trust anyone). Cheers again, the advice is greatly appreciated.

So from the details I have given, as long as I deal with a bank transfer or cash directly to the bank there shouldn't be anything to worry about? Isn't it a little dodgy giving bank details to perform a bank transfer? I've never done one of these before and have always been wary about passing any bank details out. I shouldn't be concerned but this is how society is these days (not long since had my fingers burnt with an IS220d with a knackered engine so don't trust anyone). Cheers again, the advice is greatly appreciated.

Yes if you take cash or bank transfer you will have nothing to worry about. I work for a Lexus dealer and these are the only two payment methods that we will accept as payment. With regards to giving out your bank account number i personly would not have a problem with this. I think to steal from your account they would have to get the bank to action any transfer and that would require sercurity and password checks.

I understand that you have had problems before and there are some dodgy people about but you have to give people a chance if you want to sell the car.

We regulary sell cars to people who export them to Malta, Cyprus, Ireland and India. Used car prices are much higher in other countries and with the weak pound it becoming more common place.

So did he pay cash deposit? Have you got his details ( Name, address and land line phone number )?

You obviously are a little worried so make sure you are cautious how you proceed, I would advise cash only and to go to the bank with the buyer and pay it into your account.

If he next suggests paying by cheque or by bankers draft and giving you additional money to cover shipping ... then this is the time to BEWARE ;)

Have a read here, there are three or four links worth reading:

AutoTrader Safety and Security

Thanks guys, he did leave a cash deposit, his name and address, but swerved giving a landline number and just left his mobi. I'll probably go with cash direct to the bank before handing over keys, just to make sure. Then I'll fire the log book straight to dvla. Helpful advice from both of you. Many thanks again.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links