Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Newbie With Questions

Hi guys , just got my rx300 2004 se :lol:

Love it, but as normal few questions please?

1 it has dvd screens in rear headrests & a controller for playstation in there, what does it play? can you watch tv on it? where is it all wired to?

My sat nav wont let me put in new route sometimes? Is it old & can i update it?

Also i have a small piece of black trim missing from outside of rear window, where can i get it from? Is it lexus for bits like that as i imagine quite expensive?

love the car just some teething probs :hehe:

Hi and welcome!

Can answer the satnav question. Are you trying to enter data while moving, because if so you can't! Most of the function are 'greyed' out above a few mph, for safety reasons. Frustrating, but Lexus are a bit paranoid about these things. A few threads here about updating the nav, but personally I supplement with a 'paper GPS', or Road Atlas as I used to call it!

No idea about the DVD screens, I'm afraid.

Re the trim, I'd ask at your local Lexus or Toyota garage as I've been surprised how cheap some bits are. Failing that, I'd ask them about any breakers locally, unless you know one. But not many of these about, so maybe there are trade suppliers?

Hope you enjoy your new ride!

Hi and welcome!

Can answer the satnav question. Are you trying to enter data while moving, because if so you can't! Most of the function are 'greyed' out above a few mph, for safety reasons. Frustrating, but Lexus are a bit paranoid about these things. A few threads here about updating the nav, but personally I supplement with a 'paper GPS', or Road Atlas as I used to call it!

No idea about the DVD screens, I'm afraid.

Re the trim, I'd ask at your local Lexus or Toyota garage as I've been surprised how cheap some bits are. Failing that, I'd ask them about any breakers locally, unless you know one. But not many of these about, so maybe there are trade suppliers?

Hope you enjoy your new ride!

Nick

Many thanks for that on sat nav! I was worried it was up the creak!!! Now i know its no prob.... Rung lexus today & have said its part of the whole window?? So getting price back to me. Are the any lexus breakers around?? Love the ride & knowing its toyota you know it will last... Also you get customer service from lexus! They actually rung me back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I never had that with merc & bmw... :blink:

Yes, the service does knock spots of all the others. Like you I have some experience of BMW (530i and wife's Z3) an several Audis. Now I have a Merc and none too thrilled with service so far - extortionate prices too! wiper blades for SLK £30. One blade for Lexus, £8 fitted! Lexus/Toyota still supply the rubber alone, which I haven't seen for years, and fitted it gratis.

Must admit I doubt there are many breakers though google found a few, none that were obviously in Hants though.

Yes, the service does knock spots of all the others. Like you I have some experience of BMW (530i and wife's Z3) an several Audis. Now I have a Merc and none too thrilled with service so far - extortionate prices too! Wiper blades for SLK £30. One blade for Lexus, £8 fitted! Lexus/Toyota still supply the rubber alone, which I haven't seen for years, and fitted it gratis.

Must admit I doubt there are many breakers though google found a few, none that were obviously in Hants though.

Nick

yes as for merc dealers ha ha ha. no customer care & top prices!!

No breakers but lexus was good for price , for window trim i have to have new window?? & window company bonds it on? but £125 so not to bad?

The car a got has no service history as it was straight from company, when does it need cambelt (mine has 106,000) Is the service computer reilaible as i have checked & says it is okay for service for another 5K miles yet?

Well the service display can be set manually at any time so it proves nothing. That said, it would take a very deliberate act of deceit to alter it, and if they were going to do that they'd surely have wound the odometer back to 70K! Or maybe it's done 150K - only joking!

Afraid I'm unsure if Lexus has central database of service history. I believe Audi does. Can you trace the dealer from any items like window stickers, number plate logos or tax disc holder? Why not ring the previous owner?

Don't recall reading about cam-belt change, but a quick search turned up this:- http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=64583&st=0&p=704649&hl=cambelt&fromsearch=1entry704649

That was a 400 though, and I'm unsure how closely related the engines are. I'd ask the dealer to be 100% sure, or post a query here with that as a heading. Perhaps it's lurking in my handbook, but I'm mid 60s at moment (car not me, quite!) so perhaps I had better start saving.

Well the service display can be set manually at any time so it proves nothing. That said, it would take a very deliberate act of deceit to alter it, and if they were going to do that they'd surely have wound the odometer back to 70K! Or maybe it's done 150K - only joking!

Afraid I'm unsure if Lexus has central database of service history. I believe Audi does. Can you trace the dealer from any items like window stickers, number plate logos or tax disc holder? Why not ring the previous owner?

Don't recall reading about cam-belt change, but a quick search turned up this:- http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=64583&st=0&p=704649&hl=cambelt&fromsearch=1entry704649

That was a 400 though, and I'm unsure how closely related the engines are. I'd ask the dealer to be 100% sure, or post a query here with that as a heading. Perhaps it's lurking in my handbook, but I'm mid 60s at moment (car not me, quite!) so perhaps I had better start saving.

Ha ha , only 150k miles these will do 300k so i have a low miler car... Mot have all checked out, out car was owned by big company from new except last year before i got it so thats all right. just cam belt, i will ring lexus or maybe in manual.. cheers

• 5 months later...

Ha ha , only 150k miles these will do 300k so i have a low miler car... Mot have all checked out, out car was owned by big company from new except last year before i got it so thats all right. just cam belt, i will ring lexus or maybe in manual.. cheers

I believe cambelt change on an rx300 is at 100,000 miles

Don't know anything about the RX300 but if it's the same as the RX400 look under the drivers seat and you should see the DVD player for the screens in the rear headrests. There is a hinged metal "kick plate" on the DVD player, which you have to pull down, or is it up, to access the slot to load the DVD's. You will also need a pair of infra red headphones to hear the DVD's. Look on the rear edge of each "B" pillar inside the car and you should see a vertical row of what looks like LEDs---these are the transmitters for the infra red earphones.

Best of luck with your new car

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links