Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Any Help?

Hi fella's, Although i love getting hands dirty and will pretty much give anything (car related) a go :) im no expert and i want to service my IS for the first time.

Anyone done a walkthrough before that can guide me through the steps of getting it done?

ok how noticable do you think the performance would be if i:

replace never before replaced air filter with k&n

oil and filter change

pollen filter change

replace never before replaced sparks with denso?

any of that make a difference? im annoyed that my mate drove my mrs 1.4 stilo and killed me in my lex. it feels pokey still but not what it should be.

any other ideas for standard performance enhancments?

tar

ok how noticable do you think the performance would be if i:

replace never before replaced air filter with k&n

oil and filter change

pollen filter change

replace never before replaced sparks with denso?

any of that make a difference? im annoyed that my mate drove my mrs 1.4 stilo and killed me in my lex. it feels pokey still but not what it should be.

any other ideas for standard performance enhancments?

tar

None of those will or can make the slightest difference to performance. A different air filter could change the sound it makes but that is about all. The IS200 is heavy and needs serious measures to increase engine power to make it perfom significantly better. Don't be deluded into thinking things like new air inlet tubes etc. will make it any better - even Lexus would have noticed if a cheap plastic tube did the trick and would have fitted it.

i disagree with the air filter, i changed my last lex from standard to pipercross and the was a definite difference.

I appreciate that these will probably not increase standard bhp but surely as over time a cars bhp decreased due to worn and old parts, by replacing them with new and improved it should increase closer to standard?

benefits of spark plugs..

Due to the properties of iridium, the spark plugs centre electrode can be made with a much smaller diameter than with platinum, Gold or gold palladium and copper/nickel types without sacrificing service life. The spark plugs potential difference is more concentrated at the tiny iridium tip and hence less 'spark jump' voltage is required - this can be as much as 5,000 volts less than with standard plug types. Ignition is improved and less strain is placed on the ignition system. Benefits of improved ignition/combustion include better fuel economy, increased power/acceleration and especially better throttle response.

air filter:

The primary function of an air filter is to deliver both high airflow and superior dirt protection. We design our air filters to provide minimum restriction allowing high airflow into an engine. In the vast majority of cases increased airflow will increase engine performance measured by horsepower and throttle response (torque). The performance benefits of maximum airflow are clear, compelling and well documented. That is why so many professional racers are willing to run expensive vehicles with no air filter, as opposed to installing a disposable air filter. They are seeking the additional horsepower and throttle response needed to win the race.

oil filter and oil change

Clean engine oil allows an engine's internal parts to operate easier and smoother, enabling an engine to maximize its mechanical output. This leads to not only an increase in gas mileage, but also an increase in engine performance.

so in summary, a car that has neither of these things done for many years, surely having them done and upgraded to performance should give me a noticeable difference?

Rob, dont get me wrong i love the ST's, my mate just sold his ST200 and i was more gutted than him. Problem is though im a bit of a snob, and if someone asks me what car i drive i like saying lexus. Unfortunately saying a mondeo doesnt have the same ring to it. Granted if your talking to a car enthusiast they will appreciate the ST element, but the majority of people that know jack about cars will just hear, ford mondeo.

I know thats snobish but hey, each to there own

I understand completely. The primary reason for changing from IS200 to ST220 was merely for the rear leg room. I didn't really wanna sell the Lexus but it made a lot of sense. Therefore, I wanted a motor that was big enough for the kids and an additional passenger in the rear (i.e. my brother as he doesn't drive yet). the only option I really considered was a Mondeo and as I felt I was 'down grading' I thought I'd go for the best variant possible hence the ST220.

I don't generally say 'I've got a Ford Mondeo' it's more 'I've got an ST220' a much better response from non-car lovers. B)

ha ha i bet, its just when they say "whats a ST220"

i had 3 mondeo's before the lex. i love em, think there bulletproof, comfortable and look good. and with the exception of the ST's you get a whole lotta car for the money.

i would always go back to mondeos if i had to sell the lex, but if had enough money a would always go for brands like lex/bmw etc over ST. Saying that though, i have a little girl now and its not the most roomy and a saloon boot is a killer. will be thinking about alternative hatchbacks at some point so who knows, i might join the ST club lol

so in summary, a car that has neither of these things done for many years, surely having them done and upgraded to performance should give me a noticeable difference?

Rob, dont get me wrong i love the ST's, my mate just sold his ST200 and i was more gutted than him. Problem is though im a bit of a snob, and if someone asks me what car i drive i like saying lexus. Unfortunately saying a mondeo doesnt have the same ring to it. Granted if your talking to a car enthusiast they will appreciate the ST element, but the majority of people that know jack about cars will just hear, ford mondeo.

I know thats snobish but hey, each to there own

It always makes sense to change oil filter, oil & plugs and air-filter element if they have been in place for some time. But before spending anything on a different air filter, just take it out - which will give you the best possible air-flow, and as an experiment no risk of damage due to dust etc. I think you will find the OEM filter does not limit airflow to this engine, and a filter that could theoretically allow more air to flow is not going to help because the engine cannot demand extra flow. As for iridium plugs, there is no evidence that the reduced breakdown voltage of a smaller gap is any advantage - the spark may be more intense but is also physically smaller, so I think the best bet is to stick to the manufacturer's recommended plugs.

The IS200 just isn't sporty and would need a minimum extra 50BHP to make any real difference - and that won't happen until you go as far as superchargers or the like. Also, the trouble with the IS200 is that it is so smooth it seems more sluggish than it is. It is also ultra reliable with just normal maintenance which should include changing the cam-belt at the appropriate interval of miles or years to avoid very expensive damage if it breaks.

The ST220 is not a bad car - it is basically a Mazda tricked out like a Mondeo and obviously all the more reliable for that. It is roomier, a bit faster, but even thirstier and made by Ford which sort of cancels out Mazda quality & reliability.

i think this will be a case of agree to disagree. I would say 95% on members on this forum have upgraded air filters and if you do a search they all agree on the performance. They cant all be wrong. Searches on Sparks say the same. I am well aware of the IS200 performance and i know what to expect from the engine. I have had 2 IS's now and my first was much pokier than this once, due to regular servicing. So my point was that by servicing and upgrading i will regain some of my lost bhp.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links