Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is250 Bike Carrier - Saris Bones - Any Good?

Hi all,

I'm planning to put a bike carrier on my IS250. I can't afford a towbar option. And I'm not happy about lifting a bike up onto roofbars. So my final option is a trunk carrier. Just wondering if anyone has fitted a boot carrier such as the Saris Bones 2 ?

Mostly it'll be used for a single, lightweight (ish) Kona mountain bike (hardtail, not full sus.)

Assuming there are no problems with a rack such as this, my next issue is the light board - I'm guessing the bike will obscure the stop lights (and definately the Reg plate) so I'll need to add a light/reg plate board. Question is - where do I plug the lights in? Is there an easy way of wiring up a plug for the light board? Or will I need to get a towbar company (eg Witter) to wire into the car electrics for me?

Advice will be very much appreciated.

I tried my hollywood bike rack on my IS, fearing for the paintwork but it was successful. I didn't have a problem with seeing brake lights. Seemed to be enough adjustment. However the pads that rest on the bootlid did leave some marks. Should polish out. Just give it a try. bBring on an all new and practical IS Estate/ wagon. Good luck. Mw

Update for the cyclist out there...

I went for the Saris Bones 2 bike carrier in the end. Very compact. Fits neatly in the boot by swivelling the single arm flat. Fits on boot with 6 straps - two rubber feet sit on bumber, and single arm sits on top of boot near rear window. When all 6 straps pulled tight, the rack is VERY sturdy. I've only tried it with one bike but there is very little movement.

Only two issues to mention - 1) the reg plate is obscured so best to attach an extra plate or light board. 2) Lights/indicators are slightly obscured so questionable about whether you'd get away without that light board..... which then raises the need to get a lighting socket fitted for the lightboard.

Also, worth investing in some bungee ball cords (also known as tarpaulin cords) - great for stopping the wheels spinning and securing the lighboard!

I can upload a photo or two of the rack on the car plus bike-on-rack-on-car if anyone is interested?

• 4 months later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links