Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

10% Ethanol

Tourer

My SC430 is an 06 model. Increasingly, petrols are being offered as "up to 10% ethanol" - especially abroad. The question is can the 06 SC430 use 10% ethanol based fuels?

From what I can see all Lexus models should be OK except pre 2002 Is 200 models, which for some reason seem to be only compatible with E5 (5% ethanol). Your friendly Lexus dealer should, theoretically :whistling: , be able to tell you.

Thanks Dave,

As you say - my "friendly" Lexus dealer. Ever since they had a "change" of management things haven't quite been the same... OK, I'll give them a try and let you know. It doesn't say anything in the manual.

My SC430 is an 06 model. Increasingly, petrols are being offered as "up to 10% ethanol" - especially abroad. The question is can the 06 SC430 use 10% ethanol based fuels?

From what I can see all Lexus models should be OK except pre 2002 Is 200 models, which for some reason seem to be only compatible with E5 (5% ethanol). Your friendly Lexus dealer should, theoretically :whistling: , be able to tell you.

B

Well my "friendly" local dealer didn't know. So I called the central Lexus Customer Service (01737 367601) and after a short delay was reliably informed that my car is OK with "Biofuels" up to 10% ethanol. This is good news. I just hope they're correct!

Petrol Companies are not obliged to state the ethanol content in fuels up to 10% anyway so you've probably been using it for some time.

That's an interesting comment as I must admit I did suspect something like that. What prompted my question was that I have just returned from a holiday in the USA where those pumps that might dispense biofuels are obliged to put a sticker on the pump that says something like "These fuels may contain up to 10% ethanol" - so at least you know there is a possibility!

Also I noted that in France they now sell something called E95, if my memory serves me correctly, which is 5% ethanol. As usual, it seems here in the UK no such courtesy is advanced towards the long suffering motorist!

• 5 months later...

they were going to increase but due to pressure they arent this is an article i was reading the other day

plans to rais the maximum level of ethanol in petrol from 5% to 10% in 2013 have been put on hold by the department of transport. current ethanol levels will remain constant until at least 2015 - although even this later date has been disputed by the DFT. The DFT unveiled the news at a high-level stake-holds meeting in the presence of the AA, the Federation of British Historic Vehicle Clubs, as well as representatives from the automobile manufacturing industry and the major oil companies. Although many industry experts stated that they fully expected the 10% level to be adopted in 2015, the DFT dismissed theses claims as a "myth". part of the reason for this U-turn has been because the DFT claims that the change could have a detrimental effect on more than 4 million car owners in the UK , whose vehicles would not be compatible with the higher ethanol levels in fuel. Much has been made of the fact that the ethanol can cause serious damage to the engine and the fuel systems of older vehicles, even at the approved 5% level, being incompatible with various glass-fibre fuel tanks and fuel tank sealant elements. The FBHVC is currently testing various additives to counteract any problems. Although the DFT is bound by the EU's Renewable Energy Directive to set a mandatory target of 10% biofuel use by 2020, it's currently exploring the concept of introducing a special protection grade of petrol with a maximum level of 5% ethanol.

• 9 years later...
On 10/12/2011 at 11:14 AM, Tourer said:

That's an interesting comment as I must admit I did suspect something like that. What prompted my question was that I have just returned from a holiday in the USA where those pumps that might dispense biofuels are obliged to put a sticker on the pump that says something like "These fuels may contain up to 10% ethanol" - so at least you know there is a possibility!

Also I noted that in France they now sell something called E95, if my memory serves me correctly, which is 5% ethanol. As usual, it seems here in the UK no such courtesy is advanced towards the long suffering motorist!

In France it is E85 (not E95 - that is E5 and only available in SP98). E85 is half the price of regular petrol but requires modifications to the engine.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links