Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Has anyone taken up any of the Lexus dealer winter tyre packages?

I'm seriously thinking of changing the Summer tyres on my MY 2011 IS 250 F-Sport for Winter ones.

Thanks, Argento

I wasn't aware of a specific Lexus dealer winter tyre package but took my own initiative and have just had a set of Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D fitted. These had to be but on a back order since it seems most winter tyres are allocated to Europe and few make their way to the UK. Will provide some feedback later when the weather turns.

They replaced a set of Dunlop SP Sport Maxx which I was happy with and they covered over 20K miles and were still legal, just.

Thanks.

Yes, they are promoting Yokohama W.Drive Winter tyres.

Prices seem to be competitive and most dealers say they are "in stock" now.

Some even have very snappy "Winter Tyre Quotation" paperwork.

That gives options such as "Tyres Only" or "Tyres & Alloy Wheels" and "Storage Required"

AutoExpress Issue 1187 12 Oct 2011 have a very good review of Winter Tyres.

Re. your Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D

AutoExpress had a pre-production set of Dunlop SP Winter Sport _4D_ on test.

They could not rank them (because they were pre-production) but were impressed and said ".. the Dunlop is a good option."

AutoExpress did not include the Yokohamas or Bridgestones in the test by the way.

I look forward to your feedback.

But by then I'll have probably decided which way to go, which is a pity.

Argento

I wasn't aware of a specific Lexus dealer winter tyre package but took my own initiative and have just had a set of Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D fitted. These had to be but on a back order since it seems most winter tyres are allocated to Europe and few make their way to the UK. Will provide some feedback later when the weather turns.

They replaced a set of Dunlop SP Sport Maxx which I was happy with and they covered over 20K miles and were still legal, just.

Thanks.

Argento, the Dunlop Winter Sport 4D don't do a size to fit the IS250 rears so I went for the 3D.

Seems stocks in general are low and the later you leave it the higher the price will be as too many people chasing too few winter tyres.

I looked at http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/ and I also had to consider price too.

Thanks and good luck.

mraines, Aha!. That explains it. Thanks.

I have had a similar problem.

I wanted to fit Toyo Snow Prox S953 all round.

But they don't do a 255/40 R18 for the rear.

I've had good service from Summer Toyo's when I had my Golf GTI

<Seems stocks in general are low and the later you leave it .... >

Noted, thanks.

<I looked at http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/ .... >

I'll study that too. Thanks.

Best, Argento

Argento, the Dunlop Winter Sport 4D don't do a size to fit the IS250 rears so I went for the 3D.

Seems stocks in general are low and the later you leave it the higher the price will be as too many people chasing too few winter tyres.

Thanks and good luck.

Noted, thanks.

Best, Argento

Thanks and good luck.

It really depends where you live and how much you need to use the car. For me in urban Surrey there have been 27 days of snow/ice to cause significant problems in 20 years so I don't bother with winter tyres, awkward socks etc. Last winter was the worst in years and just didn't use the car for 3 days when the snow was too deep for winter tyres to help in any way - the issues being ground clearance and the car being utterly useless as a snow-plough.

Yes there are a lot of variables as to whether to go for winter tyres. I don't think it is just a snow issue though and the stopping distances are improved on softer winter tyres in the colder temperatures as well as wet weather grip.

Everyone has a choice.

It's a misconception that winter tyres are only for snow and ice, as is with some who believe they are only needed on the driven wheels .

Performance of a winter compound is far superior to 'all weather' or summer compound when temperatures are low, typically below plus seven degrees celcius.

fjcfarrar, thanks. These are good points.

Particularly, " ....the issues being ground clearance and ..."

As you will know, the IS 250 F-Sport has a very vulnerable looking front spoiler.

I'd hate to think I'd be using this as snow-plough!

I am coming round to the idea that I could do without using the car if the snow ever gets that bad.

But I am attracted by the claimed superior performance of Winter tyres v Summer tyres in the wet and/or under 7C

mraines and Tango have just said this today.

Argento

Noted, thanks.

Best, Argento

Thanks and good luck.

It really depends where you live and how much you need to use the car. For me in urban Surrey there have been 27 days of snow/ice to cause significant problems in 20 years so I don't bother with winter tyres, awkward socks etc. Last winter was the worst in years and just didn't use the car for 3 days when the snow was too deep for winter tyres to help in any way - the issues being ground clearance and the car being utterly useless as a snow-plough.

mraines, thanks for this. I'll have a look at the Autocar forum posts.

I think I cut out and kept the What Car review.

I recall that it was a good report.

Argento

Some recent discussion on winter tyres on the Autocar forums too:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/forums/t/20519.aspx

And a recent Whatcar article too:

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/winter-tyres-could-save-your-life/259264

Thanks

I will not be using my IS250 as a snow plough however I hope to benefit from the superior traction and stopping distances that winter tyres can offer. In the past even just a smattering of snow or slush on the road and the IS250 was stranded...and I live away and off from treated roads.

Lets get real...they are not going to turn your IS250 into a 4x4 equivalent/snow plough but all the other benefits I really hope will be useful.

Thanks

mraines, thanks for this and, your post of 15 October.

I've had some really useful comments and advice from you and other forum members.

The comments from fjcfarrar and Tango in particular really got me thinking.

I've decided to stick to my Summer tyres this Winter, and take a chance.

I don't use or need the car that much.

I am lucky in that I could use my wife's MINI Countryman if conditions get that bad (although I haven't put that to her yet!).

All MINI's are brilliant in the snow and ice as you probably know.

The cost of a set of Winter tyres for the IS 250 at say £700, can buy a LOT of train and taxi journeys if it ever gets that bad!

If I include the cost of a set of Tsuki alloys, which I was, it's a no brainer economically.

I also think that when the Summers need replacing, I'll just get a set of premium Winter tyres and use them, all year round!

Problem solved?

Surprisingly, this was recently suggested by AutoExpress and seems to have the backing of Michelin, Continental and Goodyear.

Have they shot themselves in the foot?

Best, Argento

...another winter tyre write up on Autocar today...with a nice discussion item in the discussion forum.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/blogs/stillatthewheel/archive/2011/10/18/winter-tyres-on-a-mini-my-six-month-test.aspx

Thanks

mraines, re. the Autocar nice discussion in the discussion forum.

I agree that it was good.

Particularly N0077666 long report and his comment later, "N0077666 October 18, 2011 2:59 PM

ronmcdonald - If you didn't swap from winter tyres to summer tyres I wouldn't think you were a mug. The deterioration in performance of winter tyres in the summer is negligble, .... "

I think that's my point.

Even if the manufacturers might not like it, use Winters all year round, as long as you don't drive like Sebastian Vettel!

Argento

...another winter tyre write up on Autocar today...with a nice discussion item in the discussion forum.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/blogs/stillatthewheel/archive/2011/10/18/winter-tyres-on-a-mini-my-six-month-test.aspx

Thanks

my dad says there not worth it he had 2 on a vauxhall senator or an omega

Not surprised - that would have been dangerous (mixing tyres) - should have had 4 winter tyres on or not atall. I have learnt many many thing from this forum!!

jonosafc, thanks for that feedback.

I have decided not to fit the winter tyres, mainly on grounds of cost and convenience.

You might be interested to know that recently, a certain Lexus dealer suggested just fitting rear Winter tyres.

He maintained that customers who did that last year were perfectly happy.

Argento

my dad says there not worth it he had 2 on a vauxhall senator or an omega

That Lexus dealer obviously hasn't a clue, as a set up like that could easily cause an accident in low temperatures, even at lower speeds, due to severe understeer.

the 7 degrees thing is only marketing. Winter tires are better only on snow and ice. Summers are better even when cold on dry or wet road. Also aquaplaning resistance is higher on summer tires.

BUT - the advantage on wet and dry road with summer tires over winter tires is in single percents. The advantage on snow or ice with winter tires over summer tires is in tenths of percents...

To fit winters only on rears is nothing but stupid. I'd rather not be able to climb a hill, than climb it and than crash going down because of no braking/steering possibility.

the 7 degrees thing is only marketing. Winter tires are better only on snow and ice. Summers are better even when cold on dry or wet road. Also aquaplaning resistance is higher on summer tires.

BUT - the advantage on wet and dry road with summer tires over winter tires is in single percents. The advantage on snow or ice with winter tires over summer tires is in tenths of percents...

To fit winters only on rears is nothing but stupid. I'd rather not be able to climb a hill, than climb it and than crash going down because of no braking/steering possibility.

We will choose to disagree then, as my experience when living and driving in Norway was that the winter tyres were far superior on cold roads, whether wet or dry.

What tosh, I mean everything you say here is wrong, not slightly wrong but every single assumption written is absurd.

Absurd: adjective. 1. utterly or obviously senseless, illogical, or untrue; contrary to all reason or common sense; laughably foolish or false:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links