Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Headunit In Is200 Sport

Hi guys,

I have a question which I couldn't find the answer to.

My car is a Lexus IS200 Sport 1999.

I'm changing the original Lexus headunit to an Alpine unit. The car should have the larger soundsystem with factory amp behind the glove box since its the Sport model. I've read about the amp by-pass cable when fitting a new head unit.

But when I by-pass the factory amp wouldn't the soundsystem sound really bad??? I mean then the new Alpine unit should run the hole soundsystem..

I would like to avoid mounting a new external amp.

Thanks in advance

Daniel from Denmark

Hi guys,

I have a question which I couldn't find the answer to.

My car is a Lexus IS200 Sport 1999.

I'm changing the original Lexus headunit to an Alpine unit. The car has the larger soundsystem with factory amp behind the glove box. I've read about the amp by-pass cable when fitting a new head unit.

But when I by-pass the factory amp wouldn't the soundsystem sound really bad??? I mean then the new Alpine unit should run the hole soundsystem..

I would like to avoid mounting a new external amp.

Thanks in advance

Daniel from Denmark

No sounds just as good if not better than standard headunit, Although i kept original amp and added phono plugs to amp wiring and ran it from pre-outs on new headunit, sounded awesome.

Sounds great.

So I can just forget the factory amp. The new head unit will do the job better?

How did you add phono plugs from new headunit to factory amp wiring?

front left + black

front right + blue

rear left + white

rear right + red

common _ brown.

in your phono plug centre is positive, you need 4 phone plugs and wire center pin of phono plugs, to positives listed above and all negatives go to common wire.

Then just plug them into pre outs on new stereo.

job done.

Sounds great.

front left + black

front right + blue

rear left + white

rear right + red

common _ brown.

in your phono plug centre is positive, you need 4 phone plugs and wire center pin of phono plugs, to positives listed above and all negatives go to common wire.

job done.

Thanks a lot. I think I will do this. For sure it must be better than only the new headunits amp? Also I won't have to buy the by-pass amp cable.

Sounds great.

front left + black

front right + blue

rear left + white

rear right + red

common _ brown.

job done.

Thanks a lot. I think I will do this. For sure it must be better than only the new headunits amp? Also I won't have to buy the by-pass amp cable.

you are welcome, i had it both ways and with factory amp wired in sounded better to me.

Thanks for this, i am about to rip out my cd changer and fit with a Kenwood KDC- BT51U. Unit ordered along with new facia.

I have a 2000 is200 SE and am wondering if it has an amp already installed, guess i will find that out when i remove the centre dash.

As i am new to this forum, would it be frowned upon to post pics of work in progress so as to help others in future :flowers: Oh and any other advice before i start would be most welcome :blink:

• 4 weeks later...

Welcome yes the SE versions have the amp and without the amp bypass you'll notice that the aftermarket unit will be hell to install. PS the amp is located next to the glovebox compartment so get that out and you'll see it.

no need to place pictures or anything as there are allot of how-to-do's on this topic just use the search on the forum ;)

• 4 months later...

Hey! I got the same proble with this. I have IS 200 Sport model 1999. Do I need to buy some kinda adaptor or what I need to do to install my alpine player. Im really confused with this.. I have pics of the car wires if those will help you understand my problem. I already bought some bypass adaptor but it didint fit. Car wire plug got like 18 holes in two leves (9 each level). Im also looking for putting subwoofer for the car...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links