Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

I have a Lexus 300, bought new in 2006. The rear driver's side door has locked but will not unlock. Lexus says the whole door will need be removed or replaced at 2000 Pounds plus. Any info would be appreciated as this represents a safety problem, i.e. the rear seat passengers would not be able to exit the car in case of an accident or fire. Despite the possible liability ( the Lexus locked the rear door automatically and it will not unlock) of fire or accident, Lexus UK doesn't want to know or acknowledge the problem and potential liability.

The doors lock but the driver's side rear passenger door will not unlock impeding the exit from the car.

Comments? Help?

Thanks,

bbobbitt@aapharma-euro.com

I have a Lexus 300, bought new in 2006. The rear driver's side door has locked but will not unlock. Lexus says the whole door will need be removed or replaced at 2000 Pounds plus. Any info would be appreciated as this represents a safety problem, i.e. the rear seat passengers would not be able to exit the car in case of an accident or fire. Despite the possible liability ( the Lexus locked the rear door automatically and it will not unlock) of fire or accident, Lexus UK doesn't want to know or acknowledge the problem and potential liability.

The doors lock but the driver's side rear passenger door will not unlock impeding the exit from the car.

Comments? Help?

Thanks,

bbobbitt@aapharma-euro.com

What liability would Lexus have. If you purchased it new 6 years ago I can't really see that you could expect them to rectify the problem at their expense. How long has the door been permanently locked? If all other doors open then it would seem to be a sensor or similar. Does the window work correctly?

Apart from anything else it will also fail the MOT on this.

......... Lexus says the whole door will need be removed or replaced at 2000 Pounds plus.

And what Lexus Delaership told you that?? - Did they say that without even seeing the car and diagnose the fault over the phone? I think you should name and shame the dealer.

There is now way a door needs to be replaced because it wont unlock !! Maybe the same dealer thinks your alloys need replacing if your tyres have worn out or perhaps your whole engine will need to be taken out and replaced if you were unlucky enough to run out of petrol!

I would take your car elsewhere and don't even think about putting it for a service at that dealership. The worst I would think it could be is a faulty actuator for the central locking on that door (or maybe it's just stuck). Either way it won't cost £2,000 and it wont need a new door.... well.... not unless you take it to that dodgy dealer that is.

I had a similar thing happen to my wifes Mercedes on a rear passenger door. It locked and stayed locked and would not unlock no matter what I did. Turned out to be a plug that had come loose from the central locking motor in the door. Cost me about £30 from a Mercedes main dealer which was all labour becaue all they did was take the door trim off and plugged it back in! It's been fine ever since and that was about 4 years ago.

Good luck

The Ed.

Its a pain in the butt job on some models. I cant quote on your model exactly as i dont know the car. To gain access to the mechanism you have to remove the interior panel. If the panel is fitted in such a way it cant be removed with the door closed then damage to the panel may occur. It could be a new interior panel they are quoting for should they damage it, but even then i dotn see 2k to fix it.

Theres a particular model of car (bmw)that has the same problem with the boot lid locking and not opening. The back seats do not fold down so there is no access into the boot to get at the mechanism. I have found a way to drill a hole behind the numberplate that allows just enough room to,with a home made tool , release the boot latch. The hole then gets filled with a grommit and number plate refitted. know one knows its been done. The editor!! i recently had the same problem with the same door on a c class mercedes and really didnt want to damage the interior door panel to gain access. Took me ages to get it off without damaging it. That was just a loose wiring terminal as well.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links