Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Problems Headed Off At The Pass?

• 1 year later...

Hi bluenose

I realise this is an old topic but I have recently broken down with the RAC saying it was the EGR valve. When I first got the car (IS220d 09/10 plate) every now and again it would release a lot of smoke out of the exhaust which I now realise was the EGR valve at work. It as stopped working and I have broken down again with the same issue, I stripped the valve down and gave it a clean but my MPG as dropped?

I have ordered some of your suggested cleaning kit to give it a proper go but I'm still puzzled why I don't get the EGR cycle of self cleaning from normal running, fingers crossed that this kit will do the job and save me a packet on buying a new one.

Keep you posted....... Would you go down the route of a new one or a bypass kit? I read conflicting statements on some forums.

• 1 month later...

Hi! Looking at the photo's from " bluenose1940" (Thank you!) I am a little concerned about any hard carbon deposits falling into the CAT. So! I thought, could a ballon be inserted through the deposits to be inflated before cleaning?

Has anyone thought of any reason not to do this? ie. The balloon bursting and doing more damage!

Thanks Geoff, I'm new to this posting thingy. I couldn't find my post again!

I agree, I think the rag is a better idea as well as the vacuum. I'll get around and check it out but in the meantime I'm driving with slightly higher revs until the engine is hot.

I believe its normal to get the engine up to about 1200revs when its cold; its the automatic shock kicks in ! Used to be a manual button in good old days wich was being pulled manually. .lol I remember those ones. By the way this is happening only in winter/cold times when temperatures drops below 6º I guess its the point.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links