Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Currently have a V70 D5 (163bhp) as my daily. I have had it 14 months so I have the need to change. (I tend to change every 12-18 months, stupid I know). Have an average of 42-44mpg.

I was initially looking at 2.0d Legacy estates - had a quattro A6 and gf has an s3 so like 4wd (my reason is I live in the Lakes with untreated back roads in the winter).

Since the decision to change I have started looking at what 8-12k buys...

Legacy 2.0d

Outback 2.0d

Octavia Scout

Then I noticed the Citroen C6 (30-35mpg and loaded with toys) and have recently stumbled on the Lexus GS450h.

35-40mpg and pretty quick, also loaded with toys..

Would be a car with 50-80k miles and 4-5 years old, something like:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20121346015...

My commute is 16miles each way at a steady 40-60mph (A-Roads) and the occasional 400mile motorway bash at the standard 70-80. Annual mileage is approx 12-15k.

Am I mad for even considering it?! Is it opening a whole can of hurt?Would I be better going for a more expensive main dealer car?

Will I honestly get 35+mpg? What do people get at 75 on the motorway and at 50 on an A-road?

No not mad at all! awsome car with decent fuel consumption once you learn the hybrid driving method. Mine has managed an average of 36MPG over the last 120K since I last re set the computer. The only real downside is the tiny boot and no ski flap. They do seem very reliable and good build quality, mine has turned out to be the cheapest car I have owned over the last 3 years and still makes me grin most days with its astonishing acceleration.

It is a very complex motor and for that reason I buy a extended warranty from Lexus for peace of mind, offset against the depreciation it seems good value at about £1000 per year.

Go drive it, its a lot different to those others you mention!

Me again, thats a rare and full spec 450h SE L, they dont come with all these toys now, adaptive cruise control will blow you away! I use it all the time and feel very safe as the car looks out for me and brakes if it senses trouble.

Hi, your certainly not mad considering the GS450h, In my opinion its a fantastic car, and one with 80k miles on is nothing for that car, I would however like to see a full, ( preferably Lexus main dealer ) service record.

As for m.p.g I don’t do a lot of motorway driving my self, but on the occasions I have, I got around 38m.p.g using cruse control at 75ish, and you should get a bit better at 40 – 50 mph.

What you have to remember is although your driving a hybrid, the hybrid part of the system only comes into play at less then 40 mph, anything over that speed you are just using the 3.5 ltr engine, so the motorway mpg is not as good as you may expect, on the other hand I get around 30mpg around town, only mainly doing short 6 mile journeys, witch I think is pretty good.

Book your self a test drive in one, ill be very surprised if you not a 450h owner soon.

If you can wait until June, and can save a little bit more cash my 450h will be available, fantastic condition with only 17k miles. Full details on in the Lexus classified section on this site. :)

Chris

Thanks for all those answers, if I can get 33-38mpg I will be very happy (where I live the idea of rush hour is more than 10 cars! Therefore it's never really stop start driving)

I am about to put my car up to gauge the interest before I attempt a p/ex.

If I bought a gs450 from a private individual, with FLSH, what are the main things to look out for above the standard checks?

I don’t think there is much to look out for

Depending on the year of the car you intend to buy, make sure the “ valve spring “ replacement work has been done. I think this is the only recall for these cars.

And basically none of the warning lights stay on, on the dash, I would say that’s about it.

A very well built reliable car that will go on and on.

So I went to my local dealer to look at a GS, a 300 SE-L. Living in the sticks has some disadvantages, the lack of used cars a major one! I liked it, the interior is ok, the dash isn't too plasticky,a concern before. The leather is lovely, better than my Volvo and Audi. A couple of niggles, lack of headroom with sunroof and lack of rear leg room, due to having the seat down and back to accommodate my height. I didn't bother to drive it as the 450h is a very different proposition-I need to travel to a region that has a better selection of cars.

Not sure if the driving position with regard seat and height may be a problem.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links