Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hids & Led Sidelights Newbie Questions

Hi guys first couple of newbie questions so don't bite :-p

Firstly, can I replace the sidelight bulbs with LED ones - if so, are there any side effects like flickering or strobing?

Secondly, my car is fitted with halogen HIDs. Why is the difference between these HIDs and Xenon HIDs? I thought HIDs needed to have a projector lens? What lumens would the standard bulb be 4300k? Also what fitment is the bulb?

Thanks in advance for the replies

LED sidelights are absolutely fine mate. No projector needed for xenons I have them on mine. This shows you all the fitments of bulbs http://www.lexusowne...=1

Just check for deffo first though. I dont have the model that came with HIDs so not sure entirely. Also you done get halogen HIDs. Halogen is a bulb with a filament and a Xenon hid (high intensity discharge) uses Xenon gas instead of the filament.

well i havent seen the hids that the IS came with but basically I have Xenon HIDs in the standard reflector type headlight housings and they are fine. Im not sure if its any different for projectors or not.

No it is not different the base (read type of connection in the lamp housing) defines the type of bulb.

So the type of Xenon HID bulbs needed are:

HB4/9006 Main beam / fog

HB3/9005 High beam

4300k is the closest to natural light (as it's more yellow)

6000k is Bright white

8000k is blue-white ( tuner favorite as it gives you that new colour look, very chav and not really suited on a lexus unless you go full Xenon HID on all lights)

also you could retrofit a pair of lenses that makes the lightbeam have less dissipation( check the manuals on the site for this)

PS: you'll notice if you only use the Main beam lights you'll never need the fog's or high beam

The best bulbs will be those from the inventors.... so you'll be best of with a set of philips ( mind you they cost an arm and a leg) but i have tried cheap versions and couldn't fault them they started up fine and didn't cause any problems as long as you go for a set with slim starters you'll be fine (this is the most important bit of the kit)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links