Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Engine Very 'tappy'. Anyone Else?

The past 3-4 months i have noticed on tick over the engine seems to be very 'tappy'. I have 18month old is250 and i does not sound anything like as sweet as it did when i bought it. When i lift the bonnet you can really hear the tapping clearly. I have also noticed a 'whining' noise when i put my foot down whilst driving. I will be contacting my local dealer and have it looked at but i just wondered if anyone else has experienced this problem? Cheers for your comments.

As far as I was aware the tappy noise is just the mechanical fuel pump, completely normal. Mine's done it for my two years of ownership and it had an engine rebuild just before I got it.

i was thinking fuel injector. My mate who is a mechanic said fuel injector but when he heard it he said get it checked. I would like to compare to another IS250 of similar age.

As far as I was aware the tappy noise is just the mechanical fuel pump, completely normal. Mine's done it for my two years of ownership and it had an engine rebuild just before I got it.

that is probably an injector too. Certainly isn't the fuel pump as that is electric and located at the back of the vehicle in the fuel tank.

The tapping noise is due to the injectors [ confirmed to me by the dealership] and the whining noise is normal; drive to alternator etc.. So don't worry - unless the noise level worsens, then check it out.

My engine taps more noticeably when it is cold [ on "choke" of course] and eases off a lot as the engine warms up. The whining noise is fairly constant, well in the background, more noticeable as the revs increase.

The problem [not a problem really !] with these cars is that they are so quiet inside that you become tuned into the little noises and taps and ticks. Lower the window a few mm and it all disappears :shifty:

My car has the clunk from the B post - it is the seat belt tensioner/clamp, which needs to have some slack in it to allow the belt to move; that used to concern me until I worked out what it is. I need to hit a fairly substantial hole in the road for it to really clunk - and I do try to avoid them !!

hope that helps

I tried BG and it has definitely improved the engine noise. The car is very smooth in slow traffic too now and doesn't slow down as quickly as it used to when you lift your foot off the accelerator.

I would totally recommend this product but not sure how useful it would be on a newish car. Mine's around 5 years old.

• 3 weeks later...

My IS250 Sport is 5 years old and has always had this noise. I think it is just so differerent from the straight six of the previous IS200, but if it aint broke.etc etc.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links