Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Steering Wheel Wobble

A_LEX

Hi guys,

My is200 has developed a steering wheel wobble which only happens between 50-60 mph? Anything below or above this speed it's fine. Any Ideas?

I'm thinking possibly seized caliper, tracking or wheel balancing maybe. Just wanted

to get peoples thoughts before I take it to the garage.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

@alberthaynes If you've had them balanced and the wobble is still around a certain speed whilst cruising I'd get the tracking checked next. This can cause the wheels to have to jump if too far out and will cause similar symptoms. Also get the ball joints and bushes checked too as a car that tracks fine stationary can go out when in motion.

It can also be as simple as dirt behind the wheel or brake disk mounting face. So check all wheel to disk and disk to hub contact faces are clean and flat. Although the latter will show up under braking too.

@sjrainsford

Many thanks. Thinking bout it it does vear to the left slightly so maybe the tracking is out. Fault finding from the cheap first I think. I may take the wheels off and jet wash it all. Just in case there is dirt etc

I have the same problem but I have just had my wheels balanced and it still happening and I'm sure if the wheels are buckled they would have noticed.

I'm confused now.

Sticking calliper? Drive for a few miles then get out. Do the brakes smell of burning? Feel each alloy with the back of your hand, if one is hotter than the other 3 .......sticking calliper!

You can't just ustick them! New calliper or recondition it is needed.

New calliper from Lexus £350 fitted, about half that from a local garage but they may not use genuine Lexus parts. Recondition for about £100 but it will eventually need replacing.

Sorry to bring the bad news....

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links