Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Howdy all.

I've more or less decided that i'm going to get a is220d and have a few questions....

Are the 2009 onwards cars actually much better on fuel than the pre 2009 ones? Is a lexus warranty worth buying? Any standout things to look for on the 220d apart from the normal used car stuff?

Cheers all.

Now theres a can of worms opened up!!

1.You need to be doing a good annual mileage to make it worthwhile. This engine is in danger of sooting up with local short runs.... read as many posts here as you can. Alternatively learn to clean the EGR yourself(quite easy) and give it a good blast down the m-way every now and then. I looked after my car with a passion, but this car requires it too!

2. Dont bother with 6th gear its a waste of time unless doing 100mph on the autobahn.

3. Feel the gearbox to see how you get on with clunkyness of 1st 2nd and 3rd gears.

4. You want a FULL LEXUS history, with all recalls done.

5. Has the Head Gasket ever been done on this one?

6. GET a warranty... do not think twice.

7. Personally i believe the mpg is better on the 220 than the 200. Road tax will be slightly more though.

8. On a decent run I could get 46 with ease or 54 using cruise control. Around town I was getting 39-41 on average.

9. Check out the windcreen 'crack' sound if you dont hear it in 20 mins it has probably been done. If not it will scare the crap out of you! Its just 2 plastic plates 'snicking' as they expand.

10. Lift the bonnet and check under the oil filler and the header tank for signs of water/oil mixing(often referred to as mayonnaise) a giveaway for Head Gasket issue.

11. Folks have poo pooed it but I found BG244 additive and AR6200 additive to be worthwhile, I can only speak as i find. Read the posts on this subject.

12. When you test drive it, see if the acceleration is even and controlled or lumpy and hesitant. Possible signs of a sooted up EGR valve. This car, in good order can go like billy-o when you want it to. Wiped the floor with my is200.

13. I honestly enjoyed every minute with my 220d ( I had my head gasket issue done during my ownership so I knew what I had). My son now has my 220d and loves it too. He's getting 46 with ease.

14. Would i have another?...................... Honestly????............No. My concerns over the Head Gasket would put me off buying another. I am afraid I have read too many acccounts of woe that, sadly, it has put me off it. If you really want a diesel try an Audi A4 or A6 the V6 engine is very sweet indeed. Then there is BMW/Merc to consider too.

15. Hand on heart, Lexus screwed up when they produced this diesel model, thats why they are dropping it. Now if they had just plonked an Audi V6 power source in there??????

Sorry if that rocks your boat a bit, but I would rather be brutally honest with you. Don't decide anything in your head until you have driven several. But that would apply to any car you looked at.

I've found a nice 57 plate car with 110k and full history, i'd prefer that over a 50k car I think.

I know about the negative points, had a test drive of a couple. i'll be doing 20k a year so no issues about it sooting up!

You do know the extended warranty freebie from Lexus only goes to 110,000 or 7 years?

Is the history 'FULL LEXUS' or an independant?

A 57 plate falls right in the main Head Gasket issue area, to my knowledge (mine was 07). Has it been done? If not it could be horrendously expensive if it goes.

You do know the extended warranty freebie from Lexus only goes to 110,000 or 7 years?

Is the history 'FULL LEXUS' or an independant?

A 57 plate falls right in the main Head Gasket issue area, to my knowledge (mine was 07). Has it been done? If not it could be horrendously expensive if it goes.

Goes to 140k, £1340 for a 2 year one. The cars just sold anyway :(

However lexus sheffield have a 2006 one that's just come in, right colour and spec but its a bit pricey at £9k(55,000miles), Going to have a look and drive of it though and see what they'd haggle to, at 8k I might go for it :) Especially with the warranty as a 5+car.

Hi Jason,

Just to add few of my own observations, some of which are more philosophical, rather than technical. :)

You'll need premium diesel if you want to avoid the engine problems and enjoy the car.

Also, it has a large turbo that needs some time and effort to get spinning, so it's not very eager at low revs. That means you can't really drive it cabbie-style and you shouldn't be trying to get the best possible consumption figures. If you do, that also could ruin your engine, let alone the driving pleasure.

Actually, it being a diesel doesn't mean a thing. I've had quite a few of those, and this one is nothing like any of them. t's obviously a driver's car, not meant to be practical or frugal, but enjoyable to drive and stylishly different. If you need a car that is a sensible and logical choice, a car that you appreciate for its consumption, spaciousness or whatever other sensible reason, then this is not the car. Word diesel is there only to confuse people. It's expensive to buy, expensive to drive, expensive to insure, expensive to maintain, actually quite demanding in every way. It's very much like a high maintenance girlfriend claiming she is modest (diesel, but only premium stuff and going through it like it's water). :D You might be sick and tired of it all after some time, but until then none of this will matter, you'll be a happy man, if you are that kind of person. Right now, I'm sick of appreciating the cars and I bought the one (initially, a head gasket faulty one, for that matter) that I fell in love with. :)

Hi Jason,

Just to add few of my own observations, some of which are more philosophical, rather than technical. :)

You'll need premium diesel if you want to avoid the engine problems and enjoy the car.

Also, it has a large turbo that needs some time and effort to get spinning, so it's not very eager at low revs. That means you can't really drive it cabbie-style and you shouldn't be trying to get the best possible consumption figures. If you do, that also could ruin your engine, let alone the driving pleasure.

Actually, it being a diesel doesn't mean a thing. I've had quite a few of those, and this one is nothing like any of them. t's obviously a driver's car, not meant to be practical or frugal, but enjoyable to drive and stylishly different. If you need a car that is a sensible and logical choice, a car that you appreciate for its consumption, spaciousness or whatever other sensible reason, then this is not the car. Word diesel is there only to confuse people. It's expensive to buy, expensive to drive, expensive to insure, expensive to maintain, actually quite demanding in every way. It's very much like a high maintenance girlfriend claiming she is modest (diesel, but only premium stuff and going through it like it's water). :D You might be sick and tired of it all after some time, but until then none of this will matter, you'll be a happy man, if you are that kind of person. Right now, I'm sick of appreciating the cars and I bought the one (initially, a head gasket faulty one, for that matter) that I fell in love with. :)

Well put Flavio. I initially bought my car because I will be making long journeys on the motorway to work and wanted to save some money on fuel but also I wanted it to look good. I got bored for driving slow (all brands are the same yo have to drive at slow pace to get the fuel economy stated).

And you know what? none of this matters now as I just love driving it and looking after (just like an expensive girl friend. Premium diesel all that way).

However, I must say I am surprised at some of the quoted mileage some people are getting,. OK I don't get 44mpg but I do get between 39-40 mpg and I don't drive below 70 or use cruise control (don't have enough patience) and I love it :flowers: .

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links