Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Uneven Tyre Wear Rx450H

Hi,

I have a Jan 2011 RX450h which is giving very uneven tyre wear on all 4 tyres. The fronts were completely bald on the outside after 20k miles. 2 main dealers tell me this is "normal" but I'm not convinced, especially as I have a 112k 2004 RX300 that wears perfectly evenly (and very slowly) on Bridgestone Potenzas.

I'd be very interested to know if anyone else has had this issue on a 450h?

Many thanks in advance,

Jon

HI Jon,

I have recently bought a 2010 RX 450h which has done 25,000 mls and the previous owner had just fitted 4 new tyres. I thought this was a bit premature but I was pleased at having new tyres however now I am not so sure now.

My previous 2009 Volvo XC70 bought from new had covered 48,000 miles with the original rear tyres still on it and I only replaced the fronts in January.

Love the car though despite Lexus taking the p*ss with their claimed fuel consumption figures!

I have a 10 plate 450h and the guy at the Lexus service center told me to keep all tyre pressures at 36 as this stops the uneven wear ... he said it was to do with the weight and balance of the car that causes the wear and that all 450h's suffer the same.

Unsure how true this is, but worth a try.

HI Jon,

I have recently bought a 2010 RX 450h which has done 25,000 mls and the previous owner had just fitted 4 new tyres. I thought this was a bit premature but I was pleased at having new tyres however now I am not so sure now.

My previous 2009 Volvo XC70 bought from new had covered 48,000 miles with the original rear tyres still on it and I only replaced the fronts in January.

Love the car though despite Lexus taking the p*ss with their claimed fuel consumption figures!

The fuel consumption figures however unreal are not produced by Lexus, they are carried out in a standard way by an outside body and the result published to satisfy the EU. No one should believe any 'official consumption figures' are real.

The fuel consumption figures however unreal are not produced by Lexus, they are carried out in a standard way by an outside body and the result published to satisfy the EU. No one should believe any 'official consumption figures' are real.

The 'outside body' are a regulated independant organisation who test all new cars to provide official consumption figures under strict guidelines to provide 'real' figures.They must be real otherwise they could just 'pluck' a figure out of the air !!! These real figures are just very difficult to reach in normal everyday driving conditions.

Like you once told me , opinions to be of any value at all , should be supported by facts NOT assertions .

Hi Jon,

I do not know if increasing the tyre pressure could make you more likely to pick up a puncture but I have just noticed you live in Essex so stay clear of the A13!

I have just had my second puncture of the week and had to have two new tyres fitted which is maddening given that 4 new Conti Cross Contacts were only fitted a couple of months ago when I bought the car. Part of my commute is on the A13 which is full of skip lorries carrying demolition crap from the rest of London out to landfills in Essex. The amount of metal crap strewn on that road is unbelievable and almost everyone I know has suffered in the same way although two in a week is harsh.

I am not sure if I am going to have the luxury of monitoring uneven tyre wear as my tyres are not likely to last long enough!!

Having said that it has forced me to drive at 50mph with the space saver fitted on my 80 mile round trip commute and I have seen the magic 40mpg pop up a few times although this is scant consolation.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links