Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Vibration Through Steering Wheel On Light Braking.

Gogsie

Thought I would strip down the front brakes as this seems to be a popular topic on the forum. At first I checked the run-out of the alloy wheel and the brake disc and all was fine. Pads looked a bit low so replaced them. Checked and re-greased the slide pins and again all was well. Took the car for a run and it seems a wee bit better but not 100%, still getting vibration.

I noticed that the discs are not screwed to the hubs! On previous cars, I have had to remove a counter sunk screw to allow the disc to be removed but on my Lexus I cannot find any. Are the discs just placed onto the hub and held with the Front wheel?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I noticed that the discs are not screwed to the hubs! On previous cars, I have had to remove a counter sunk screw to allow the disc to be removed but on my Lexus I cannot find any. Are the discs just placed onto the hub and held with the Front wheel?

correct, the wheel nuts hold the disc and wheel against the hub.

Are the wheels standard ones?

possibly you have some play in the suspension (ball joints)

Cheers. I watched a clip on you tube of some guys who is supposedly removing a lexus is200 front disc and he shows two countersunk screws that have to be removed first which confused me. Wheels are standard and theres no play in the ball joints etc...

• 1 month later...

Ok - finally cured the problem. After cleaning up the existing discs with no success, I bought new discs and pads. Fault has completely gone now and the car is driving and braking like new. Excellent result.

Mine is also vibrating very badly when I brake and also when I drive sometimes so I thought the tracking needed doing because it was ever since I had the alloys refurbished but turns out it was the front brake pads and disks. Got a quote of £355 but shopped around and I got it down to £170.

I have a similar problem, although the vibrations are very slight and only noticeable when the not holding the wheel, cant actually feel anything when holding wheel normally. So how serious is it? how long should i wait to replace rotors?

• 4 weeks later...

highly doubt discs are warped as that is an extremely rare occurence.the vibration will be caused by material transfer brought about by bad braking practice. sitting at lights with foot on brake,not weekly getting some heat into the brakes to burn of the material transfer etc. why do you think BMW advise some hard braking on a regular basis.doddering about town never getting them up to temperature is the worst thing.treat them mean to keep them clean.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links