Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New: Import '99 Harrier Four 2.2 - Servicing In Herts?

Kbeardy

Hi all....nice place you've got here :)

After five years of Mercedes E-class estate ownership, I almost joined the LOC this weekend as the proud owner of an IS200. Due to a dodgy trader and a last minute panic about giving up 5 doors, I am here instead as a proud owner (two days) of what I now gather is probably the rarest and oldest orphan outside of Japan.

Okay, the skinny: 1999 Toyota Harrier Four, 2164cc auto. Imported in 2000. 96k, FSH, Silver, 2 former keepers, timing belt kit changed at 40k and 75k. Came with a spare set of 4 Lexus alloys/tyres. Original in almost every respect - no Lexus rebadging, other than a replacement Lexus RX300 windscreen - apart from having been converted to LPG. The bodywork and wheels have seen better days and both the exterior and interior trim were on the verge of being designated as an organic vegetable patch, given the layers of dirt. But you know what? I don't care :)

So, the bank holiday and cleaning products/elbow grease put to good use, underneath I found a really impressive, honest vehicle that drives like a dream, even though the Camry unit is no 3.0 V6 or match for my former Merc. The latter was simply depreciating on my driveway while I commute by train most days, so in downsizing (misnomer of sorts), I still wanted a degree of luxury and carrying capacity, but with improved running costs. Almost a full set of ticked boxes: got good cash back after sale/purchase and the LPG is a winner but the insurance premiums for a modded import got hijacked and held for ransom....(sorry AF, even with the prospect of a Gold discount, no dice, went elsewhere).

The H came with the original Japanese language manuals and original labels under the bonnet and elsewhere, which is nice, except I can't read Japanese. I've sussed the screen computer/stereo/aircon/clock combo, though. Anyhoo, after a trawl to find an English version of the repair manual and owner manual over yonder eBay, I found some US suppliers at varying prices and eventually downloaded a free version, but it is for the '99 V6 RX300. Then, I wound up here.

Long story short: I'll save the detailed queries for the Harrier Club forum, but just a quickie here:

Any Harrier/99-03 LX300 owners in Herts and if so, where do you get yours serviced?

Hello and welcome to the LOC.

I also have an import but a 1994 Toyota Celsior.

Insurance is a pain as no mainstream ones will get involved and the ones that will have you over a barrel.

Hello and welcome to the LOC.

I also have an import but a 1994 Toyota Celsior.

Insurance is a pain as no mainstream ones will get involved and the ones that will have you over a barrel.

Thanks for the welcome and consoling, Steve...

Adrian Flux tried hard and they are good. I have my buildings/contents with them and they settled a small claim earlier this year very easily and promptly. In the end I went with Zenith via moneysupermarket.com at £535 fully comp. A good 'saving' (if you can call daylight robbery and extortion a saving...) over some frankly ridiculous four-figure quotes, but it's still a hike of over £130 in relation to my former ride, which was 3 years newer and twice the value. Interestingly, AF said that premiums jump for vehicles valued at less than £3500. The number of Cat C and Cat D vehicles I encountered on my search (especially IS200's) suggests that insurers have become rather trigger-happy when it comes to 'beyond economic repair.'....

I totally agree, mine was "written off" last year with relatively modest front damage. Sick of those "Claims management Companies" I dealt direct with the 3rd party's insurers ( they admitted liability) received a fair settlement and was allowed to keep the car for free.

I had the car repaired with no panel replacement at a local body shop and took a nice holiday!

My insurers insisted the car was recorded as a cat C even though the 3rd party insurers were happy to forget about it so had to get a VIC done and a fresh MOT which was due anyway.

I've managed to keep my fully comp cover to just above £300.00 but the excess is high at £700.00 and I am limited to 6000 miles/year.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links