Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I'm an idiot. I disassembled my ash tray to find out why the cigarette lighter wasn't working. I've fixed that, but there are two springs, one on either side of the rotating ash tray, and I'm not certain how they should be positioned. They serve to rotate the tray down into position when the driver pushes the wooden panel that reveals the ash tray.

Has anyone come across this issue before?

I fixed it. Lexus helpfully gave one spring an L-shaped leg and stamped an L on one side of the tray. Each side of the tray has a pivot, around which the spring sits (and the tray rotates). Then, to the side of that central pivot, are two plastic tabs. The stamp in the plastic shows you which way the spring sits. There's very little tension on the springs unless the tray is closed, but you reassemble it in the open position. The trouble I was having was that I'd position the spring but it would ping out when I tried to reinsert the ash tray into its holder.

So, screw one side of the holder in place (plastic part held in by three small metal screws). On each side of the holder is a thick brass screw. These stop the tray from rotating all the way around but you have to back them out to get the tray in. So unscrew them, not completely, just enough that the stops on the tray can get past.

Put a spring on the tray, squeeze it between the tabs until it's reasonably secure (they're held in very lightly so be careful). Gently put the tray into its holder, locating the pivot into the relevant hole. Once you've done that, check the spring hasn't moved. Make sure the tray doesn't slip out of the hole. Then put the other spring in position and put the loose side of the tray holder onto the end of the tray (plastic pivot into its hole).

You then have to push the tray and the loose plastic side of the holder into position. This is difficult and was where I was getting stuck, but once you've squeezed it all in, carefully rotate the tray closed and screw the big brass stop screws back in. Then screw the plastic end of the holder back in position (3 small brass screws).

It's tricky but not impossible. It just takes time. Maybe a dab of very weak glue on the springs to hold them in place as you're putting it all back together, but it shouldn't be necessary.

For those who are interested, the fusible link was fine, for some reason someone had unplugged the cigarette lighter from the car's electrical system. Probably an oversight, nobody has ever smoked in the car so it probably wasn't noticed.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links