Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Brake Judder Is200 Se Auto And Squeeky Wheel

New Lexus Boy

Please help guys.

I have had the front disc's and pads replaced 3 times and the back ones once.

I still have a brake judder not only braking from speed but sometimes when at relatively slow speed.

I also have a squeek coming from one of the front wheels which gets louder when travel faster.Also a scrapping sound when turning left which sounds like metal as if the disc guard thingy behind the disc like the metal hub on wheel shaft was catching something. I noticed this weekend that when i had a full car (so weight/full car) the scrapping sounded worse.

Could this be something to do with the suspension effecting the brakes and the scrapping ? The steering wobble at speed isnt as bad as was at speed but when you are braking you can feel the shudder in the wheel and right through the pedal. Could it be a steering problem ???

Would the wear of the tyres effect this ? or the make of tyres ?

It has also just past its MOT without a prob so the test didnt pick any thing up if it would do ?

Is this a common fault with IS 200 and or Automatics ????

Will i have to do a process of eleminations or does any body know what i need to look for

Its driving me nuts, so if some one could help/advise i would be greatful.

Cheers

Have you had the rear brake drums replaced - see the post in the main section under "Wheel Noise" - i had this problem - thought it was coming from the front.

Drove me up the wall - turns out it was coming from the back discs which were rubbing on the dust shield. (Discs had become rusted up over time in the groove that the guard sits in and this was rubbing together)

Job done now - although still a squeel there its unnoticeable if you are not listening for it but i will cure this when i change the drum and brake shoes.

The judder i also had which was sticking caliper pistons - easy to remove and clean. Also check your slide pins arent siezed or sticking.

thanks for this. I had the back done also. I never had this sqeek or shudder until the brakes were messed with. Yea it does sound like the dust sheild kind of noise so will check the back but really want to get under the front and check them also. I guess the weight in the car would also cause this noise to get louder as they could be rubbing more.

How much would it cost for a garage to remove and clean the caliper pistons and also the slide pins as i am not very mechanical lol.

Like you this noise and the judder are driving me nuts, they car is quality except for this hassle which spoils the whole lexus driving.

This is just through my experience which sounds like the problem you are having .....Pretty sure its not weight related as the two parts that are creating the noise - dust shield and disc - should be secure and should not move under normal operation, other than the disc rotating these two parts if installed properly should be tight.

Changing the discs is really easy, especially the fronts, as are removing/cleaning and greasing up the slide pins on the front calipers. The discs are held on by the wheel/wheel nuts - taking the wheel off and then the caliper will allow you to take the disc off and replace. Just make sure the mating surfaces are good and clean when replacing. There is a big debate on what grease to use on the slide pins - if you can get to a dealer then they can supply with what the car came greased up in but other than that a good hi temp lithium grease is good. I use a lithium based teflon red grease with no problems.

Judder in the front "can" be caused by a lot of things - after market alloys which have the wrong inner bore - to rectify this you can buy different sized sprockets to allow the wheel to align better to the hub (£5 approx for the sprockets), seized or sticking caliper pistons (refurbed caliper around £80) or £30 approx if you want to refurb sticking ones yourself but i have heard that this does not last well. Warped discs (£90 approx for a front set of Brembo) but if its the discs that are warped then i would suspect the calipers are either siezed or sticking. Worn bushes etc.... When does the judderring occur, is it around 50 - 60 mph or is it all of the time or is it just under braking or when turning corners. You can usually narrow it down yourself to save spending money replacing parts that are working ok. Mileage and how well the car has been looked after needs to be taken into consideration - saying that, these cars are solid - the calipers are the weak point on these cars judging by the amount of people that have had issues with them which is not bad considering how much kit is on them and the mileage that they can get to.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links