Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus 5 Year Old Approved Car Warranty - Do They Pay Up?

I bought my 5 year old Lexus from the main dealer as it seemed a good idea to have the Lexus warranty particularly when the strap line is that it's peace of mind as it provides the same level of cover as a new Lexus....of course tyres/batteries aren't covered and another exclusion is multi media systems.

Lexus never describe a bulk standard cd/radio as multi media, they only put MM on their used car ads when it mentions a multi media pack so would it be wrong to assume that if you only have a standard cd/radio you don't have a multi media system?

I ask this question because having only owned the car for 4 months it is now discovered that some of the speakers are "shot" (main dealer words). I naturally asumed that it would be covered under the warranty and in fairness the service manager said he had sent off a warranty claim but I had the uneasy feeling that he wasn't very confident of the outcome. So I called Lexus this morning to ask what they defined as a "multi media system". Lexus couldn't/wouldn't answer and eventually put me through to the Lexus 5 Year Old Approved Warranty company, so not really anything to do with Lexus then! I was told in no uncertain terms that no stereo system and it's components were covered and in the warranty booklet it states this so am I ****ed?

I am waiting to hear from the dealer, I have sent an email expressing my concerns and asking them to make good the claim should the claim be turned down after only 4 months ownership. Is this a fair request do you think and do you think a standard radio/cd is a multim media system?

Maybe I'm jumping the gun somewhat but I am sceptical..

many thanks

Is this a fair request do you think and do you think a standard radio/cd is a multim media system?

Hi Tom,

Absolutely fair and you are covered under the sale of goods act from 1979. You have six years to get a claim into court and within six months of purchase, it's up to Lexus to prove that the fault wasn't present when you bought it.

See: http://www.advicegui...replacement.htm

Warranty cover is fairly meaningless as I've discovered. I purchased a used Lexus RX400h, "Used Approved" from Lexus in Reading, Berkshire and I was assured the windscreen, "must be in good condition". Turns out I was driving around with a windscreen that would have ejected via an airbag deployment, (Not bonded properly via a sloppy installation) and there's massive safety risks with that in the event of a crash, roll or perhaps even an emergency stop, (I shudder to think). Lexus' response? Hide!

I quote;

"THE LEXUS WARRANTY IS DESIGNED TO GIVE THE REASSURANCE THAT YOU WOULD EXPECT WHEN BUYING AN APPROVED PRE-OWNED LEXUS."

It's a total myth. They can't assure this and in my case, it's totally untrue.

I'm preparing to take them to court out of frustration. Hope it doesn't have to be that way for you Tom, it is an option though and your legally protected against dealers who don't want to do the right thing morally or seek to avoid legal obligations.

All the best,

Simon.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links