Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200 - Replacing A Water Pump

LadyLexus

Hi, Im a lady Lexus owner and just had my annual service 70,000 service on my 52 plate and been quoted for a replacement water pump. My shopping days may be numbered as Ive been quoted £666 by a dealer, does this sound excessive!!?? Tks

Hi and welcome,

W pumps can be expensive on the Lex, but I paid about half that, but it was replaced when I had my cambelt replaced at the same time all done by my local garage.......at your mileage you should check if the belt has been replaced, on here we normally reckon 60-70000 is the time to do this, not 100000 in some datasheets. Cambelt and waterpump are two of the few common routine milage replacements on the IS. Have a search round on here for more info on both the pump, and belts if applicable.

Was that a Lexus dealer? That's double what it should be. DONT PAY THAT! What a rip off!! . If it is a lexus dealer ask to see the book time and cross reference this agsinst how much the hourly labour charge is. Normally about £100-£110 per hour for a Lexus main dealer.

Had mine done at Lexus Bristol. £154 for the part. 1.9 hour book time to change so about £200 in labour. Total bill for me was £360!

You can even get the water pump as cheap as £80 on eBay and that's for a genuine Toyota/Lexus part. Just got to find someone to fit it for a good price :)

Thanks for responses, very helpful.

Hi and welcome,

W pumps can be expensive on the Lex, but I paid about half that, but it was replaced when I had my cambelt replaced at the same time all done by my local garage.......at your mileage you should check if the belt has been replaced, on here we normally reckon 60-70000 is the time to do this, not 100000 in some datasheets. Cambelt and waterpump are two of the few common routine milage replacements on the IS. Have a search round on here for more info on both the pump, and belts if applicable.

Thanks very much for this, very helpful and Im going to shop around. I am having the cambelt done and was advised I wouldnt be charged labour on that part as its near the water pump. Some saving at least! lol

Was that a Lexus dealer? That's double what it should be. DONT PAY THAT! What a rip off!! . If it is a lexus dealer ask to see the book time and cross reference this agsinst how much the hourly labour charge is. Normally about £100-£110 per hour for a Lexus main dealer.

Had mine done at Lexus Bristol. £154 for the part. 1.9 hour book time to change so about £200 in labour. Total bill for me was £360!

You can even get the water pump as cheap as £80 on eBay and that's for a genuine Toyota/Lexus part. Just got to find someone to fit it for a good price :)

Hi, thanks very much for responding. As you can imagine with this quote, I wouldnt be buying many xmas pressies this year! Lexus dealer is Sidcup Kent and I was a bit gobsmacked! Thanks for helpful tip re book time/hourly charge. I was told the pump price was about £120 but it was the labour on top. Im also having the cambelt done as Im on 70,000 miles/10 years old and they wont charge me for labour on that as water pump in same area. Wish me luck!

£666 for service, and water pump and cam belt, all supplied and fitted is better than "about right". I was quoted £550 + vat (£660 inc) just for a service at a main dealer - and that was just fluids and normal service items. Belts, pumps, brakes, etc were all additional

Ahh now you didn't say it was tied in with a cambelt change. £666 for cambelt and water pump at Lexus sounds about right. So is that £666 including cambelt or is the cambelt on top of the £666?

They said they wouldnt charge me labour on the cambelt change as its in the same region as the pump. Price on quote shows as £666 for pump and £38 for belt. Tks

So it's actually £704 in total? For just a supply and fit both pump and belt? Bit OTT for my liking - if they were doing a service inc full fluid change then ok, but over £700 for just a belt and pump change is a bit much. You could get that for half that by going to a good independent

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links