Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Is200 Rear Speakers

LexusLT1

Base models have only 6 speakers and don't have "Lexus" on the speakers in the back.

The higher trim levels have 8 speakers (actually dual drive speakers in the back) and these have the bigger casings that say "Lexus".

I'm thinking of getting a rear panel with the dual drive speakers from a junk yard and seeing if it's just plug and play for my "base" model.

that Lexus badge on rear speakers is a little nice touch but I´m not sure you should want them so bad. Specially in case your windows are tinted.

8 speaker system is good when it is OEM but PITA when you want to go aftermarket. There are 2 speaksers mounted on one 6x9 frame. tweeter is 4 ohm and woofer is 2 ohm. You have to ditch them if upgrading to aftermarket amp.

Ah, do you're saying those rear speakers with the woofer and the tweeter are not plug and play? That's too bad... I already have an aftermarket radio with the 6 speaker system and everything works perfectly. So replacing my rear speakers with the more expensive ones wouldn't work?

If you already have an aftermarket system in there, you're far better off going for an aftermarket pair of 6x9's. The standard one's are nice, but they need more power. Also mine buzz a little bit. I was going to rip them out and put an aftermarket set in, until I asked and found out they are a PITA to wire in due to the two different speakers with two different connections and two different Ω ratings

Ah, do you're saying those rear speakers with the woofer and the tweeter are not plug and play? That's too bad... I already have an aftermarket radio with the 6 speaker system and everything works perfectly. So replacing my rear speakers with the more expensive ones wouldn't work?

With OEM amp -NO.

OEM amp is filtering signals itself. Aftermarket 6x9 will need unfiltered signal.

If you already have already aftermarket HU and rear speakers waitin for installation. Throw away the OEM amp and replace it with aftermarket 4-channel unit. Rewire the whole system.

I've got to say the 8 speaker system in my sport is probably. he best sounding car system I've ever owned, really nice clear sound with plenty of adjustment for bass and treble, whether that's just due to my previous cars being crap I'm not sure, but I certainly like it and have no intention of messing with it.

Was there any change to the system over the years production ? Speakers or head unit change

I've got to say the 8 speaker system in my sport is probably. he best sounding car system I've ever owned, really nice clear sound with plenty of adjustment for bass and treble, whether that's just due to my previous cars being crap I'm not sure, but I certainly like it and have no intention of messing with it.

Was there any change to the system over the years production ? Speakers or head unit change

I totally agree! Best system I've had as standard in any car by a mile. Also mine works perfectly. Lots of reports of the CD player giving up and having the error code come up on the display. This did happen to me once, it wouldn't play and displayed error 3 but I just turned everything off and back on again and all was fine. That was 6 months ago and I've never had a problem since.

I know of two types of head unit. They are pretty much identical but In very early models T, V and W Reg so 99/00 it had the CD load tray at the bottom with the tape deck on top. On Later models the CD was on top with the tape deck below as in mine. I don't know the reason for this but I noticed it when test driving a few older ones when I was looking to buy.

When I collected the car, sales guy was at pains to point out that the main cause of failure was people not waiting for the green LED to light up before inserting a disc, he reckoned that was the main reason for jammed units ..... he also said, and I've no idea if it's correct or not, but the internals are the same as ford units and can be repaired relatively cheaply because of that and not the normally quoted expensive repair costs.

• 6 months later...

HI all...just join the club, i too would like to replace the rear speakers if blown, cause of the buzzing sound i hear from them.

But need to know the best way of removing them. Any advice help is welcome.

p.s. Any idea how to go about making my IS200 a sleeper eg: original looking with small upgrades.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links