Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

hi all

this may be long winded.

picked up gs last week and had it in for service and once over today at independent garage.all oils and filters £90. was told that front exhaust blowing and quoted £590. also rear bearings or bushes cant remember which but says you need hub as well £309 a side. question is this

1)can exhaust be sourced cheaper.

2)when car was originally tested in august it mentioned serious blow from exhaust and it looks as if its been repaired with exhaust bandage and retested before i bought it.

3)spoke to garage who tested it and they say they know previous owner.i emailed owner and he says its the first time he has used garage

not looking good. i love the car but nearly 1200 plus labour seems excessive

any advise please

depends what front of exhaust means really.

Can you id the part from these pics?

gs300exhaust1.jpg

gs300exhaust2.jpg

Would need more accurate info on the bearing/hub issue help in whether the whole hib is needed. There are some bushes that can only be bought from Lexus as part of the hub, but I believe they can be bought after market. But need more info to confirm.

tigerfish

thanks for the reply. from what the mechanic says he said it was the y piece (centre exhaust pipe?). he said that the bushes wanted replacing as there was movement in the wheel. i am not picking the car up while wednesday as he has ordered a new bonnet cable 23.50. he is ex toyota dealership mechanic. will get more info and post wednesday as he say the car is otherwise in a1 condition

Just realised, posted wrong pics above (GS300 instead of GS430 system)

GS430 front half.

gs430exhaust2.jpg

The arse end is basically the same, if not the same.

If it is the centre pipe (not the cat Y-piece), then I would either:

• Get it welded
  • Buy a custom made cat back system. There is a place in Leeds if they are close enough that does them for £299 last time I looked. Never dealt with them other than price enquiries, www.tonybanks.co.uk.

more confused now. looking at pics i presume the y piece is the one with the cat on. this sounds about right. will check wednesday. also emailed mij and cobra in sheffield for prices of both for the part and full system will let you know. will print photo and take with me

tiger fish

more info as promised. may be able to get front exhaust from either mij or cobra in sheffield at around £250.

the rear is the hub carrier bushes which i understand comes as one unit and i have been quoted £109 each and bearings at £199 per side. might be other way round

Are the bearings actually gone? Or just the bushes? You can get after market bushes to replace the bushes only.

I would be inclined to go for a full cat back rather than a single piece for the extra £50. If one part has gone, some of the others may soon follow. Is it weldable?

tigerfish

thank you for your quick reply. i understand that the bushes have wear and when these are pressed out or something may damage the bearings. when i pick up the car tomorrow he is going to do me a drawing which i can post and it may make more sense as i havent a clue what he is talking about. will also have more information re the exhaust as i will take the schematic you sent me to identify the part and i have it booked in at cobra in sheffield for thursday(similar to mij) and they will look to see if it will weld or make custom piece with cat. incidently priced bearing at andrew page and was about £50 each compared to the £190 plus i was quoted. will keep in touch

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links