Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

No Drive

Rasta

Hi guys, I'm a new member to the club and would like to say hello.

My question is?

I have recently changed a engine from a transmission engine to a manual....., I have fitted the spigot bearing, reconnect the clutch, flywheel and refit the manual gearbox.

I finally got the engine to start but won't drive when in gear, I have try bleeding the slave cylinder, look at the gear stick and still the engine will start and be in gear but no movement. I did remove the slave cylinder and before I put it on I forced the piston back so..... Was wondering if anyone could help me please??????

Hi Steve, thanks for your reply.

I do have some resistance from the pedal, when depressed it returns normally and does not stay down. I also went under whilst someone else pressed down on the pedal, the slave cylinder piston, moves an pushing on the fork but I'm not sure if it needs bleeding or what?

I'm puzzled because I never break into the cluth fluid line and I only force the slave cylinder piston backward so I could blot it onto the gearbox as I had to remove the gearbox. I'm really hoping I didn't damage anything nor have to retake the gearbox off.

Normally spring pressure from the cover plate will clamp the friction plate to the flywheel at all times, thus starting the car in gear or trying to change gear whilst the engine is running will in normal conditions stall the engine, as you are not experiencing this I would say there is no drive connection between the engine and the gearbox and no ammount of bleeding will affect this, so either the clutch friction plate you have fitted is wrong for the splines of the gearbox input shaft and is not transmitting rotational motion from the flywheel, or the friction plate is not being clamped against the flywheel and is free spinning.

It sound like the clutch is working with the arm moving with the pedal and if you can select a gear with the engine running it would confirm that or you would either have a job selecting a gear accompanied with crunching or if it did go in without the clutch operating the engine would immediately stall.

That leaves the gear selector lever, have you tried all positions to see if there is any drive?

Also with the engine off and the car in gear can you turn the propshaft or is it locked to the engine?

I have put the car in gear whilst the engine is running, take my foot off the pedal and it didn't stalled at all. I put the clutch on that came off of the engine that I've taken out, all bolted up fine but when I was taking the gearbox off I also take the gearstick out so I'm wondering could that be in but not engaging the gears. Really don't want to retake it off but that seems to be the case

I haven't tried turning the prop on its own but will try in the morning. I was wondering of there's a special way to put the gear stick inside the gearbox. Sorry guys but I would love to crack this. Lol

I really do appreciate your help and expertise, thanks guys.

Clutch plates generally are marked which side goes against the flywheel ...... easiest thing to check first would be the gear selection, is the lever actually changing gears in the box or doing nothing when moved, raise the rear of the car on a jack and see when in neutral that the rear wheels have little drag on them when turned, then select a gear and it should feel very different as your now turning the gearbox internals also .

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links