Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Afternoon all

I popped down to an exaust place called Style Dynamics in the morning. Got my car up in the air for a full comprehensive quote. The chap quoted £700 from front cat back (cat by the front wheels).

If I go from the cat in the middle it would cost £499. Now I was thinking, if I'm going to change the exhaust, I may as well go from the front cat back which is of course, the more expensive option, but at least that way it's all new.

The thing I'm stuck on is the exhaust sound. I like my car quiet as it isn't the sort of car which is meant to be loud. I have a choice between -standard- midsport- and sport (jap sound).

I've said to the chap at the exaust place, if I were to go for the exhaust, i'd go for 'standard' sound. Now i'm thinking will that be too quiet? what are your reviews, and what do you have fitted?

Thanks for reading

Hi,have you got a quote from anywhere else(you could also try longlife exhausts for a quote as well),I would personally go for the standard or mid sport,anything more would be a pit too loud.

The company I went to was Longlife franchise. I haven't had a quote anywhere else as there aren't that many places by me.

I couldn't have it too sporty, think it would drive me mad :lol:

If you buy long life it'll last forever so it's worth paying a bit extra. I had a long life system on my Primera and my old man had one on his 300zx. Can't rate them highly enough. If I were you I'd go for the mid range. It'll give you a bit of grunt at high revs but still be smooth, quiet and refined like a Lexus low down the rev range :)

That's exactly what I was thinking, get a nice guarantee with it too, and there seem to be a few Longlife workshops plotted around in the UK.

Does anyone know the standard exhaust bore of the GS300 MK2 system?

Best bet is to search youtube for vid clips of the GS300 with different after market exhausts with different levels. There are a couple of clips from someone on here that has recently done theirs. A forum search might turn up their post. they have quite a distinct sound being a straight six, so make sure you find the gs300 clips and not the gs400 or gs430. I would probably go mid sport personally. I'm planning to do the same on my GS430 this year, with a mid level sound to get the V8 grunt.

Thanks for your reply Rick.

I've been through a few youtube clips, and searched the forum. The GS430 has more clips of course due to it's V8 which encourages exhaust upgrades.

The thing I can't make my mind up on is, do I upgrade from cat back at the y-piece, or just before the centre box? Do you think there will be much difference from the two possible points. To explain better what I'm talking about I'll attach an image.

Point A: If I am to go from this point onwards, it will mean I've got a fresh leg of pipe. Thefore this is more money too when installed.

Point B: This leaves the current y-piece in place, but replaces the centre box (silencer/third cat). Thing is, what are the advantage/disadvantages?

Cheers

Gs300_zps33aa3fbb.jpg

I'm just trying to picture what they mean with all the cats that are being talked about. The front exhaust pipe section doesn't have a cat in it from what I remember, only a silencer. The post cat 02 sensor is the one doing the readings after the cats, which is the one you can see in the diagram above (the other two sensors are in the manifold/downpipes which merge before the cat at the front, and then joint to the front exhaust pipe section in the pic. Therefore the second price is not a cat back system, only the first price is. £700 seems quite a high price for a cat back custom system as I know they are available elsewhere for between £300-£400. But it does depend of course how far away these other places are.

I thought the centre pipe was some sort of cat. So there are 3 silencers in total.

It does seem a high price, but I rather pay for quality at a local shop, rather than travel to an obscure place which is not well known.

Need to make up my mind where I want to have the exhaust built from. Point A or B

To be fair Rick, I'd say it looks pretty solid. I was thinking the same. It's just I want the back boxes to be replaced soon moreso as they look in a bad state.

You mentioned you're going to get the V8 done at some point. You going for cat bac?

You mentioned you're going to get the V8 done at some point. You going for cat bac?

Probably, but only because the prices were quoated as cat back. Hadn't really thought about the y-piece and back, which might save a few quid, so worth thinking about.

I see - should sound sweet once done.

Be careful as some places recognise the centre section as a 'cat' and not a silencer. So not replacing the y-piece can save a few pounds

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links