Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

We all had a little fun or parked up whichever is best for each of us.

Thinking how daft some things are main roads A and most B if a part of a route within a gritting plan is done no problem.

But if we live off these routes anymore than a few yards we are stuffed

Mile away and down 2 nice hils thats it until it clears :megaangry:

Why do they not do a round trip around inner main roads not over doing it just the main arterys within our streets and we can all then sort out minor snow moving eg off our driveways or even within the street we live so we can then get onto the main artery road for our own areas we would all be happy then not stuck in because we cannot move for 4inch of snow when the b road 1/2mile away is clear and we could be out or easy to work etc

That not annoying or what....... :megaangry:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watch the youtube video from Auto Express on winter tyres....for wet and snow

the extra "sipes" and grooves on winters are much better than any summer tyre for dispersing water in the rain, especially when the temp falls below 7C when the compound grips better too

Top Rated Comment on that video:

Best hope the guy behind you has winter tires as well or you might get rear ended when you stop.Not very safe being able to stop that much quicker than the guy following you

Very true, but to be honest even though you winters on you drive as though you haven't for that reason. At least you know you can stop...and start again, even up hill in an automatic. You have to drive to the conditions, no matter what your car can do.

And if you do get rear ended, you use your insurance - thats what it for.

The answer fella is Cost... Pure and simple! :)

thats what i was getting at but we all pay enough to the local authoritys so an extra ton here and there is covered really when they mention they have 100 th ton etc etc ready and when its looked at in march it looks just as huge a pile :eerrrmm:

I live in rural Lincolnshire and have to drive a few miles before I can get to treated roads so have winter tyres fitted. The road at the moment is sheet ice covered in snow and I have absolutely no proplems with the Lexus, in fact drove to the nearest village last night for a pint and one of the regulars was surprised I had made it, he had spun his fiesta and nearly got stuck on the road near my house the same day and he does know how to drive. So if you need to be able to use your car in poor conditions winter tyres is the way to go.

OK, I live in a fairly flat area but I haven't had much bother with either the 220d manual or the 250 auto in the snow. No snow tyres either. Perhaps it's because I was brought up on rear wheel drive cars and learnt to drive when they were the norm. For a year in the late 60s I had to commute from Huddersfield to Harrogate in a Wolseley 1500 going up past Yeadon in all weathers including snow a lot thicker than this few inches. Very rarely were people stuck even in some really ancient machines like Ford 100Es and limited road gritting. Why? Because drivers learnt how to control the throttle, how to avoid braking and keep the wheels rolling and how to keep the wheels in line.

In the 80s for my sins we had a Marina Coupe which was a pig of a car but even that never got stuck. A good weight in the boot and it was good as gold, better than my Maxi that used to snowplough if there was more than 6 inches of the white stuff. The old Viva estate was the same. Many a trip over the Humber Bridge in a blizzard in that old thing. The best car of the lot for snow was the Hillman Imp. A sack of sand in the front boot and it would go anywhere.

I'm not criticising folks on here for their opinions on the Lexus but I do think technique matters more than the model of car.

I'm not criticising folks on here for their opinions on the Lexus but I do think technique matters more than the model of car.

Precisely, being confident about ones ability to drive does not make one ignorant. If winter tyres help one's confidence then so be it. If they were necessary in the UK they would have been the law. End of story. :)

Bit of a daft statement. It's not law to wear boots when walking in snow; you're completely free to wear trainers. However, boots provide much more grip, and are a much more sensible choice.

You are not putting others at risk if you are wearing trainers rather than boots. It's a matter of your own comfort. On the other hand with cars, it could be a matter of damaging other vehicles or hurting other road users; the community. I am sure you are aware that the purpose of law is to safeguard the..... community.

Anyhow I am not up for this trolling game you are trying to play.

Good day to you sir.

Law isn't the only thing that governs us as a community. Common sense plays a big part. Would you carry a baby, walking in snow and ice, wearing flip flops? Or would you wear suitable footwear, such as boots?

I walked to the shop today, about a quarter mile each way. I wore my work boots and didn't slip once; not even a hint of any loss of traction. I walked to the post box prior to that, about 25 metres each way, wearing my trainers. It was incredibly slippy, and I nearly fell twice, and had plenty of traction-less foot steps.

And I'm not playing a game, nor "trolling" as you say. It's called a conversation, or to some, a debate.

OK, I live in a fairly flat area but I haven't had much bother with either the 220d manual or the 250 auto in the snow. No snow tyres either. Perhaps it's because I was brought up on rear wheel drive cars and learnt to drive when they were the norm. For a year in the late 60s I had to commute from Huddersfield to Harrogate in a Wolseley 1500 going up past Yeadon in all weathers including snow a lot thicker than this few inches. Very rarely were people stuck even in some really ancient machines like Ford 100Es and limited road gritting. Why? Because drivers learnt how to control the throttle, how to avoid braking and keep the wheels rolling and how to keep the wheels in line.

In the 80s for my sins we had a Marina Coupe which was a pig of a car but even that never got stuck. A good weight in the boot and it was good as gold, better than my Maxi that used to snowplough if there was more than 6 inches of the white stuff. The old Viva estate was the same. Many a trip over the Humber Bridge in a blizzard in that old thing. The best car of the lot for snow was the Hillman Imp. A sack of sand in the front boot and it would go anywhere.

Marina 1980s sand in boot spot on been there done that never failed or let me down at all on mud snow tyres part worns i was able to buy out of my weeks wages just so i could get to work each day LOL old ways are good

Law isn't the only thing that governs us as a community. Common sense plays a big part. Would you carry a baby, walking in snow and ice, wearing flip flops? Or would you wear suitable footwear, such as boots?

It's a bit worrying how you are just creating silly situations in your head and pushing them across the board. First it's running over a child, than it's your trainers. Wait that's probably not dramatic enough so you've moved to carrying a baby wearing flip flops. Go easy on the negativity. You are just shooting blanks. When s hit happens it happens. If you are destined to hit a child or slip in the snow than I am sorry neither your winter tyres or your boots will prevent that from happening. Sure they might make you feel better about your ability to avoid such incidents. Some might suggest even make you over-confident enough to do something stupid that you wouldn't do if you were driving/walking cautiously because you had less faith in your tyres or shoes.

Does that make sense? Am i getting through at all?

I walked to the shop today, about a quarter mile each way. I wore my work boots and didn't slip once; not even a hint of any loss of traction. I walked to the post box prior to that, about 25 metres each way, wearing my trainers. It was incredibly slippy, and I nearly fell twice, and had plenty of traction-less foot steps.

We've already covered this but here it goes again. Just because you slipped in your trainers does not mean everybody else will. The rest of us may be a lot more sure footed than you are, more skilled at snow walking than you are, more observant of the pathway than you are. The list could go on... You get the point.

It's a bit worrying how you are just creating silly situations in your head and pushing them across the board. First it's running over a child, than it's your trainers. Wait that's probably not dramatic enough so you've moved to carrying a baby wearing flip flops. Go easy on the negativity. You are just shooting blanks. When s hit happens it happens. If you are destined to hit a child or slip in the snow than I am sorry neither your winter tyres or your boots will prevent that from happening. Sure they might make you feel better about your ability to avoid such incidents. Some might suggest even make you over-confident enough to do something stupid that you wouldn't do if you were driving/walking cautiously because you had less faith in your tyres or shoes.

We've already covered this but here it goes again. Just because you slipped in your trainers does not mean everybody else will. The rest of us may be a lot more sure footed than you are, more skilled at snow walking than you are, more observant of the pathway than you are. The list could go on... You get the point.

++++ 1 :D

It's a bit worrying how you are just creating silly situations in your head and pushing them across the board. First it's running over a child, than it's your trainers. Wait that's probably not dramatic enough so you've moved to carrying a baby wearing flip flops. Go easy on the negativity. You are just shooting blanks.

Well, no actually. It's called hypothetical situations. It's what we use to work things out and make decisions. Interesting though that you didn't answer the question.... Hmm...

When s hit happens it happens. If you are destined to hit a child or slip in the snow than I am sorry neither your winter tyres or your boots will prevent that from happening.

Don't know about you, but I don't call hitting a child, especially if could be avoided, "sh!t happening". I call that a terrible, terrible tragedy, and if could be avoided, I'm all for trying.

Sure they might make you feel better about your ability to avoid such incidents. Some might suggest even make you over-confident enough to do something stupid that you wouldn't do if you were driving/walking cautiously because you had less faith in your tyres or shoes.

So you disagree then, that should a child run out in front of you, and winter tyres would allow you to stop just that few feet shorter, meaning you didn't hit the child, they don't work?

Actually no, it makes no sense to me that you think running a child over is just "sh!t happening" and not important, and preventative measures that can be taken are pointless. That makes no sense to me at all.

I'm sure it's entirely feasible. However, being a fully abled, fit and mature human being, I'm more than confident in my ability to walk. However, the observation was made that the footwear I was wearing wasn't appropriate to the conditions. Using that information, I made the decision to wear more appropriate footwear.

In case it passed you by, it's not uncommon for people to slip in snow and on ice. And I'd bet that many many many times it happens, it's down to poor choice in foot wear. Unfortunately, many people are stupid, and don't seem to understand the benefits of making decisions and changes to rectify that. I did, and it wasn't hard.

It's also not uncommon for people to crash or have accidents in cars when it snows. Why not take preventative measures?

Precisely, being confident about ones ability to drive does not make one ignorant. If winter tyres help one's confidence then so be it. If they were necessary in the UK they would have been the law. End of story. :)

I agree. Some of us were lucky to have learnt to drive in days when instructors taught you about the relationship between the engine speed and the road speed in adverse conditions. As I understand it, learners these days are simply told to use the brakes to slow down and miss gears on the change down as the car comes to a halt. There is no way that a driver can be in full control on snow with that method but you will see younger drivers getting into trouble with it every day while this bad weather is on. I'm far from a brilliant driver, just fortunate enough to have be taught properly.

Well, no actually. It's called hypothetical situations. It's what we use to work things out and make decisions.

Really? Sounds deep..

Interesting though that you didn't answer the question.... Hmm...

I am assuming you are referring to this. Well it's the only question I can see in your post.

Would you carry a baby, walking in snow and ice, wearing flip flops? Or would you wear suitable footwear, such as boots?

We have already established that it doesn't snow enough and as often in the UK. I don't see myself carrying a baby in the snow at all. I mean what's the need? Snow spells are brief here and it's not the end of the world if the baby waits a day or two till it clears before it can be taken out. In case you haven't figured it out, this is the point where you start regretting your 'hypothetical situations' that you use 'to work things out and make decisions.'

So you disagree then, that should a child run out in front of you, and winter tyres would allow you to stop just that few feet shorter, meaning you didn't hit the child, they don't work?

Actually no, it makes no sense to me that you think running a child over is just "sh!t happening" and not important, and preventative measures that can be taken are pointless. That makes no sense to me at all.

Lets refer to the 'hypothetical situation' you are referring to. Here's a full quote to re jog your memory.

I'd rather be able to stop and not run over a child, and have someone hit me up the arse, than not be able to stop and kill a child. But that's just me....

Fair enough your magical winter tyres helped you stop in time and avoid running a child over. Unfortunately in doing so you got 'hit up the arse' by a motorcyclist. I mean after all we are talking hypothetically. It could be anyone. Since you are a bit sensitive to terminology used lets just say that the accident was fatal for the motorcyclist. Are you pleased with yourself? Do you feel like a hero? The child was saved after all.

It's also not uncommon for people to crash or have accidents in cars when it snows. Why not take preventative measures?

I am not contradicting this. The following is my very first post in this thread. I want you to read it and read it again till it makes sense. Let me know if you need a hint.

I really don't think it's worth having winter tyres for the tiny amount of snow we get on a yearly basis. Relax and have a lay in. :whistling:

To wind things up I would just urge you to go back and read through my posts. At no point have I called winter tyres inefficient or anything similiar. I have always referred to them as unnecessary because the greatest benefit you can reap off them is in the snow and it doesn't snow enough. Their benefit in the wet over summer tyres is not that impressive. Certainly not something that good skills and technique could not overcome.

I agree. Some of us were lucky to have learnt to drive in days when instructors taught you about the relationship between the engine speed and the road speed in adverse conditions. As I understand it, learners these days are simply told to use the brakes to slow down and miss gears on the change down as the car comes to a halt. There is no way that a driver can be in full control on snow with that method but you will see younger drivers getting into trouble with it every day while this bad weather is on. I'm far from a brilliant driver, just fortunate enough to have be taught properly.

Ahh... Something I can happily relate to. I mean I couldn't count the number of times I have got myself out of a mess just because of gearing down to assist in decelerating rather than jamming the brakes. It's true but sad how little they teach drivers these days about technique.

Really? Sounds deep..

Not really no, it's life.

I am assuming you are referring to this. Well it's the only question I can see in your post.

Would you carry a baby, walking in snow and ice, wearing flip flops? Or would you wear suitable footwear, such as boots?

We have already established that it doesn't snow enough and as often in the UK. I don't see myself carrying a baby in the snow at all. I mean what's the need? Snow spells are brief here and it's not the end of the world if the baby waits a day or two till it clears before it can be taken out. In case you haven't figured it out, this is the point where you start regretting your 'hypothetical situations' that you use 'to work things out and make decisions.'

Nice avoidance. The answer you were looking for is "yes, I would happily carry a baby in snow wearing flip flops" or "No, I'd wear appropriate footwear". Perhaps because you feel you can't answer the question without "giving in", as I'm sure you're sensible enough to know the correct answer. I would still be interested to hear your direct answer, rather than avoidance.

(ps, why I am regretting a hypothetical situation?)

Fair enough your magical winter tyres helped you stop in time and avoid running a child over. Unfortunately in doing so you got 'hit up the arse' by a motorcyclist. I mean after all we are talking hypothetically. It could be anyone. Since you are a bit sensitive to terminology used lets just say that the accident was fatal for the motorcyclist. Are you pleased with yourself? Do you feel like a hero? The child was saved after all.

Yes, I would be completely satisfied I had done everything I could to preserve the life of an innocent child. The motorcyclist made their own choice to follow too closely, and not take enough precautionary measures to ensure their own safety. It would indeed be sad, and I'm sure it would affect me, but I can't be responsible for someone else hitting me because they couldn't avoid a situation correctly. Not sure if they make winter tyres for motorbikes, might be a good idea they do...

I am not contradicting this. The following is my very first post in this thread. I want you to read it and read it again till it makes sense. Let me know if you need a hint.

Sounds to me, you need the hint. (Here it is) - why not take preventative measures?

I really don't think it's worth having winter tyres for the tiny amount of snow we get on a yearly basis. Relax and have a lay in. :whistling:

Then don't buy them. Personally, I think they are a good idea. So I did buy them.

As for a lay in, sadly, people like you always want people like me to come do things for them, and cry if we don't. So no chance of a lay in for me I'm afraid.

To wind things up I would just urge you to go back and read through my posts. At no point have I called winter tyres inefficient or anything similiar. I have always referred to them as unnecessary because the greatest benefit you can reap off them is in the snow and it doesn't snow enough. Their benefit in the wet over summer tyres is not that impressive. Certainly not something that good skills and technique could not overcome.

Which winter tyres have you used?

Winter tyres are awesome guys, I know whatever weather will be tomorrow morning, I will be driving 100%. It's only £200-400 (depends on make). Is it too expensive to keep a spare set of wheels with winter tyres somewhere (garage, work place, spare room) just in case and swap them with your normal wheels when needed ?

Well, had to catch a flight from Manchester airport this morning at 6:30am. All roads were under 15cm of snow here in Huddersfield (very hilly). Winter tyres or not, the car was all over the place, I only made it down the road where I parked it and came back home. It seems that the money we pay for council tax and road tax is not enough for them to clear and grit our roads once or twice a year. Rant over.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links