Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Diagnosis ? Brake Noise On Pull Away+Pedal Travel

jigmaster flash

in my search for a nice LS400 i have come across a likely candidate, but it has one issue that to me could have a variety of causes.

there is a whooshing/fine grinding sort of noise that occurs when pulling away, only lasts a second or two and then disappears. Seems to be coming from the front brakes/wheels.

i questioned the owner and he said it started just before xmas and seems to happen mostly when car is cold after sat overnight. He had a new set of pads fitted 2 weeks ago to hopefully cure it, but it didn't. Mechanic who changed them said discs looked fine, and the old pads were only half worn.

any ideas? (sticky caliper pistons?)

the other thing that i noticed, (and i haven't driven an LS400 before so dont know if it is normal) is there is a fair bit of brake pedal travel before pads bite. Had a few merc + ford auto's before and definately longer travel on the Lexus. Worried this might be connected to the above issue.

once ive got a few ideas on what to check/try the seller is happy for me to tinker and try to resolve before i part with my hard earned cash, so any ideas appreciated!

cheers

marty

Hy Marty

From my experiance of driving several LS400's and the two I own ,the brake pedal travel can be a little iffy like whoa no brakes

when you first drive them ,compared to my previous Vectra C . Now I am used to it I find the cars stop just fine ,the pedal seems to go a bit further in my Mk3 than the Mk2 both have had new pads and disc's all round.

You dont say which model LS you are looking at with the noise problem ,if it is an older model Mk2 or before then the front brakes use sliding calipers . The slide pins can rust and partly seize if the boots get damaged and let in water .

Best of luck with you search.

thanks rupert, its a 97 Mk3 LS400 so they are defiantely not sliding calipers.

theres a few more popping up for sale now so will move on from this one.... it had been sat for 3 monthsbefore xmas, and although i could only find this one fault i dont like the unknown so will continue my search!

thanks rupert, its a 97 Mk3 LS400 so they are defiantely not sliding calipers.

theres a few more popping up for sale now so will move on from this one.... it had been sat for 3 monthsbefore xmas, and although i could only find this one fault i dont like the unknown so will continue my search!

If that's all that's spoiling the car for you, you could always tell him you'll have it if he finds and fixes the problem.

Forgot to mention, my brakes are fine with regard to pedal travel.

yes that was an option michael, but ive now found a nice mk4 which im looking at this weekend and although higher mileage and a bit more dough seems to be a real good un'... (test drive this weekend)

its like waiting for a bus, none for 3 weeks then a load come long together!

yes that was an option michael, but ive now found a nice mk4 which im looking at this weekend and although higher mileage and a bit more dough seems to be a real good un'... (test drive this weekend)

its like waiting for a bus, none for 3 weeks then a load come long together!

Good luck, they are cracking cars.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links