Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Power Socket In The Boot

TheOldGit

Does anyone know if it's possible to fit a power/cigar socket in the boot.

In my instance it would be used for a cooler box.

Can it be done by a non pro motor electrical expert.

Where would you connect the secondary socket wires.

Would it be ok to take a feed from the back of the original socket.

Or would it be better to have the pros deal with it.

Any help please?

Yes, it is possible. There are however, a myriad of different ways of achieving the end result.Firstly, you have to decide whether or not you want to risk flattening your Battery ( a straight forward decision, do you wish for the socket to remain live when the car is not active and parked?). If you are willing to accept this risk, the work to install an auxillary fused, suitably sized and safely routed line straight off the 12 volt Battery is very simple.

If you wish for the new socket to be powered from a circuit which is only made live when the car is in its running state similar to the existing power socket, the solution could be as simple as simply removing the socket from its current location and extending the feed cable to the boot location. Alternatively, an auxilary relay could be fitted in order to ensure that the new socket would be powered up only at the appropriate time ( ie when the car is running).

The solutions can be as simple or as complex as you need. However, as with every electrical item ever used, there is a potential for danger from incorrect sizing, or fitting of electrical cables, fuses or devices. By far the simplest and cheapest method of achieving the end result is to purchase a 3 metre coiled extension lead (fused at 5 amp) from kenable.co.uk or someone similar for around £3.The more complex options will require increased skill and experience levels and the costs will inevitably rise accordingly. Although I have sufficient experience to carry out the full installation myself to engineering standards which equal or exceed those of the original wiring sytems within the car, I took the view that i will use my own cool box in the boot just once or twice per year and therefore I use the 5 amp fused extension lead since I can use it in both our cars ( and potentially, future cars too).

Hope this helps. Regards,

Geof

In Car Power Cigar Lighter

£2.99

kenable.co.uk

Hi Geof

Thanks for your reply and extremely helpful solutions.

On reflection I will go for the extension lead option, as like you I will only use it a couple of times a year so it makes sense.

Cheers

Mick

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links