Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi Everyone,

I am a relatively new owner of a Lexus IS250 Auto and just need to hints and tips about maintaining it really. I am from London and just wanted to get some help on some of the basics below -

How to make the car more fuel efficient?

Where is the best place to buy cheaper parts?

Is there an official manual like Hayes for Lexus?

Can anyone recommend a good trustworthy garage to help tune up a Lexus?

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

Rockyuk

Hi Everyone,

I am a relatively new owner of a Lexus IS250 Auto and just need to hints and tips about maintaining it really. I am from London and just wanted to get some help on some of the basics below -

How to make the car more fuel efficient?

Where is the best place to buy cheaper parts?

Is there an official manual like Hayes for Lexus?

Can anyone recommend a good trustworthy garage to help tune up a Lexus?

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

Rockyuk

I expect others willl comment on your questions.

I'm not sure how to make the 250 more fuel efficient other than to drive with a lighter foot and keep serviced. Some say using the power mode button around town helps as the gears change quicker meaning less smooth changes but possibly slightly more efficient. I'm not see how true this is and I suspect the difference will be slight if noticeable. I find I get around 27+ mpg around town and 40+ at 75mph on the motorway. For a V6 petrol I think ths is pretty good.

I use europarts for some service items as they sell several levels of quality in parts. They have OE equivalent parts which can often be the same as fitted by Lexus just packed n a different box and at a fraction of the price.

Take the front brake pads as an example. £150 from Lexus and £33 from Europarts. I fitted these and the quality of manufacture looked every bit as good to me and the fitted absolutely perfect. 30 minutes job to complete.

I'm not sure if Haynes has a manual but there is a user manual on this forum in PDF format:-

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/topic/25999-is350250-owners-manual/

Failing that, Google is your friend. Most maintenance on the IS has been covered if you search.

I think tuning is limited on any Lexus as the ecu are near impossible to programme. There are some piggyback style chips for the diesel but I'm not aware for anything on the petrol. I imagine without a turbo there will be little advantage without spending £1000's for small gains.

The American forums have some members who had added superchargers to there is250 so this would probably be the best route for reasonable gains although I doubt you will find much in the uk.

I look at it ths way, the is250 is a luxury car with plenty of comfort and enough power to whisk you along when required. It's certainly not a drag strip racer and its image is one of refinement rather than street racer which I why I bought mine. Too many BMW's on the road, hence I sold my 330d for the Lexus and don't regret it.

Carl

You can get a copy of the workshop manual, but you'll need some knowledge to use it properly:

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/69259-lexus-workshop-manual/

For most jobs, just search with Google and you'll find a walkthrough with pictures aplenty.

Eurocarparts / eBay for most, but some bits I can't source except from the US unfortunately. Depends on whether you want to be replacing oil filters or suspensions assemblies.

Become a Gold Member and you get discount from most Lexus dealers

Are you saying I can get parts from most dealers? It would certainly be easier. I fancy doing a brake fluid change, but I'm aware that they've done a recall due to the effects of some none-OEM dot3 fluids, so I'd rather goe OE. Also the tray above the spare wheel in the boot, and the sound deadened plastic over the engine bay could do with replacing.

OP - regarding your first question about mpg - drive it long distances and avoid braking by looking ahead and letting it slow naturally. I get the same numbers as Carl 27-29 around town / short journeys, up to 43.3 today on a Brighton to Heathrow and back run at 65-70 :phone: . The odd overtaking maneuver won't drop it down much.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links