Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hope We've Seen The End Of The Snow

Steverally

Made a brave move today, replaced the winter snow tyres, with the summer Yokohama's...whether its too early only time will tell!!

I can report that I've done 3000 miles on the winter tyres, no change in fuel consumption, possibly a softer ride, down to the '55' profile, but best of all better grip and traction through out all the snow we've had.

Would I recommend winter tyres..yes, and before I bought them last november i was sceptical about theyre worth, this winter has proved them.

• Like 1

Didnt fit any yet, Survived so far without them. I was thinking about getting a set of steel wheels to carry winter tyres rather than faffing about fitting and refitting tyres. That would also go a long way towards carrying a worthwhile spare tyre too... just pop an off season wheel into the boot to act as a spare? So long as the rolling diameter is the same Its got to be at least as safe as a space saver hasnt it?.

Took mine off March 5th, and like you Steverally, I noticed no difference in fuel consumption (I ran for 3 months, 1200-ish miles), and also like you, a slightly softer ride (probably down to the taller profile - mine are 50's; summer tyres are 45's), and also like you, the grip level in the cold temps, not to mention the ice and snow, was superb. I noticed immediately the difference between them and my summer tyres in the 0/1/2/3/4 degree temps we've been having the past couple weeks. My summer tyres are still gripping of course, but noticeably less sure footed than the winter tyres. They really do have a positive effect in the cold temps, regardless of it being dry, wet, icy, snowy, etc.

The other thing I noticed - and I thought my summer tyres were good - is how good the winters were in the wet! I took a trip up to Reading during the particularly heavy rainy period in December, and went through a lot of standing water on the M4 - some of it surprisingly deep. The UniRoyal +66's I was running powered through that a good 15-20mph faster than everything else, with not even a hint of snatching or pulling, and aqua-planing is a phrase they've never heard of. Very impressed.

I'd happily keep them on all year round if I didn't think I'd prematurely wear them...

Didnt fit any yet, Survived so far without them. I was thinking about getting a set of steel wheels to carry winter tyres rather than faffing about fitting and refitting tyres. That would also go a long way towards carrying a worthwhile spare tyre too... just pop an off season wheel into the boot to act as a spare? So long as the rolling diameter is the same Its got to be at least as safe as a space saver hasnt it?.

Wass, didn't make it clear in my post my winter tyres are on a set of alloys, so its a matter of just swapping the wheels, today it took me just over the hour to swap them.

Never thought about using one as a spare, as nuts are different diameter to normal, and I purchased a space saver as soon as I got my car.. don't like bottles of glue!!!

My winter tyres are on a scabby set of second hand standard alloys, which I may or may not rub down and paint over the summer. Like the others, I just jack up the car (I do one side at a time, rather than one wheel at a time) and it's done in 20mins, plus no extra costs having a tyre fitter swap tyres over twice a year.

As for the spare, I have a full size alloy, with a brand new tyre on it. On the one hand I want to change the tyre, as the one that's on it is a directional tyre, but on the other hand, it's never ever been run, and still has the white text printed on the tread!

Been running winter tyres for about 7 years now and would not change (unless I dropped on some ultra high performance Falken Azenis FK-543's)

Had a set of 18's on the Range Rover, a set of 16's on the 5-Series and a set of 17's for the IS.

Much better to have a winter set the same size as your summers so you don't feel the difference changing them over.

Range Rover was worst with going from 18's back to 22 summers.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links