Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi neil,

Is the 5_10 mpg extra not a positive as im going from 50mpg in a run so going to 30mpg is going to hard enough but losing an extra 5-10 mpg would make the difference too much

mike

Don't understand what you mean....

Basically, I average about 30-32 mpg in summer, more like 27mpg in winter. An equivalent car like an XC90 would get about 25 and 22mpg in similar circumstances, based on figures on the Fuelly website and friends who have one.

So the RX is better than its peers but not as much IMO as hybrid fans would like you to think.

My point was, the 5-10 mpg extra over other similar cars is nice but not the only reason to choose an RX.

I am leaning towards the lexus due to reviews of reliability and comfort also 30 -32mpg seems better than the bmw x5 and range rovers.

comparable mpg as the kia sorento but the lexus is more refined and has more power and speed.

im just concerned that there are no higher milege rx 400h cars for sale. Most miles i have seen is 135000

• 4 weeks later...

My 1st post.. apologies for dragging up an older thread.

There is a 200k miler on eBay at the mo, not that I'm considering, but it shows they can/do get there. Doesn't mention if the car is entirely original though.

I too am considering a higher miler, just under 100k miles, around a 07/08 plate, the prices seem to be a little more on par the lower end SUV market rather than the premium brands.... there are not many alternatives, SUV, auto - decent mpg... the mrs was getting very low 20's in a CRV auto.

My 1st post.. apologies for dragging up an older thread.

There is a 200k miler on eBay at the mo, not that I'm considering, but it shows they can/do get there. Doesn't mention if the car is entirely original though.

I too am considering a higher miler, just under 100k miles, around a 07/08 plate, the prices seem to be a little more on par the lower end SUV market rather than the premium brands.... there are not many alternatives, SUV, auto - decent mpg... the mrs was getting very low 20's in a CRV auto.

Hi ken,

I am interested in the lexus rx 400h for towing my caravan. Concerns are the lexus has a low nose weight of 80kg.

Im in Manchester and there doesnt seem many for sale within 75 miles.

I am on a limited to a budget but i have seem a for sale 2005 to 2008

Most seemb to be around the 95000 to 11000

They are going for around £7750 for 2005 to £10000 for a 2008.

The service at 10000 miles cost arohnd 1250 possibly the reason people are getting rid.

There a few for sale but most down south.

Mike

Hi Mike

Keep looking, be patient, and use the upcoming expensive 100k service as a negotiating point.

By your figures, after a frank discussion with the seller about the service (private sale, they genuinely didn't know about the significant work due at 100k) I paid near 2005 rx prices for my 2008 rx last month - aside from that pricey service coming up it is very well maintained, everything works, and it had around 1500 spent on it by the seller in the last 6 months - tyres, brakes, wheel refurb, etc (they were intending to keep it for much longer...then their employment circumstances changed and they HAD to sell).

Mind you high mileage doesn't deter me...the outgoing car has 225k on the clock now and I bought it 6 years ago at 145k, and still runs fine...just needed a more practical family car now or I would have probably kept that one another 2-3 years!

(Edit: This was also a 6-cylinder petrol, like the RX is)

Keep on top of the maintenance once you have it (like any vehicle), and take your time waiting for the right one to come up (I was looking for an RX for 12+ months half-seriously, and 3-months seriously).

Hope that helps.

Hi roger,

Thanks for your reply.

I really have my mind set on the Rx 400h. The only thing that concerns me is the low nose weight but i should be able to manage with that.

Have u any worrys about the lifespan of the main Battery as they are know to cost £2000 plus to replace.

The main things that attract me to it are its style, comfort and recommended reliability.

A big plus is the fact it is supposed to be no slouch going 0-60 in 7.9 secs.

What are they like snd what mpg are you getting.

I have not had chance to test drive yet.

Regards,

Mike

Hi Mike

I'm not too concerned about the batteries. They're made up of around 200 cells so when they do start ageing it should fade gradually rather than just stopping one day. In the US the cells can be purchased separately however as far as I know in the UK you can only buy the entire pack. Mine is coming up to 7 years old so not something to worry about for 3+ years. The earlier Priuses are now 14 years old and I haven't heard of any Battery issues with those.

I cannot help re towing. Mine has the towbar (+larger air vent in front grill for cooling) but I don't have anything to tow.

Mpg so far after around 500 miles is averaging 30. A lot of very short commute + supermarket trips (all less than 2 miles one way - partly why a diesel wouldn't be good for me due to dpf clog up etc!). Also some 10-15 mile journeys, and one 80-miler. I live in West Yorkshire so all the shorter trips are up and down hills which really suits the hybrid.

I expect to get slightly more mpg as I get used to driving it more. Also of gets higher in summer apparently (engine warms up quicker, and can remain off longer mid-trip without cooling as quickly).

Acceleration is very brisk when you want it to be - definitely no slouch. However you drive it is relaxing and quiet. My OH said it drives itself!

Cheers

A big plus is the fact it is supposed to be no slouch going 0-60 in 7.9 secs.

What are they like snd what mpg are you getting.

Officially 7.6 secs 0-62 mph and independent tests achieved quicker than that in the US however the negative is front wheel torque steer as it is predominantly a front wheel drive vehicle.

In the five years I had mine I probably averaged about 32 mpg indicated, 30 mpg actual. At motorway speeds it was around 28-30 and everything else around 32-34. No experience towing though.

A 100k service is around £700-800 from a Lexus dealer including the timing belt - assuming other things aren't required such as brakes discs and pads etc. No one should be charging £1,250.

Hi roger

Do u mind me asking how much you paid and what milege it had done so i know what is a good deal or not.

Mike

Hi Mike. I've sent you a private message.

Cheers

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links