Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rx300 To Replace Volvo

this is a first for me in this section as I'm normally found in the SC430 bit.

For a daily driver I have had Volvo estates for the last 30 years but I am thinking its time for something more luxurious and automatic.My SC430 has got the best auto box I have ever experienced so my thinking is maybe its time to get a Lexus estate and the RX300 fits the bill.It would be either a 02/03 or a 2nd gen 03/04.

The 1st generation is more typically an estate car and they are getting quite cheap but I prefer the looks of the 2nd generation so to help me make an informed decision I would like to pick some brains, here goes

- is the auto gearbox silky smooth on both 1st and 2nd gen models ( I will be comparing it to the SC430 ) ?

- are there any problems with either model that I need to look out for ?

- I will be seriously thinking about having an LPG kit fitted,has anyone had any experience of LPG on

these cars ?

- the SC430 suffers badly from Battery drain when the car is not used for a few days,does the RX300

have the same problem ?

As usual my thanks in advance to all you nice gurus for sharing the knowledge

I would go with a series II if you can.

The series I has a 4 speed auto and it certainly isn't as smooth as the 5 speed in your SC. The series II uses a 5 speed box which is much smoother.

Whilst not common there have been reports of transmission failures on the series I, most occurrences have been in the US but I'm aware of 1 or 2 in the UK/Ireland. Not heard of the same problem on the series II.

There is more experience with LPG and LS400s but here is one member with LPG on an RX:

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/83358-new-member-with-rx350-with-lpg-conversion/

I'm not sure what the issue is with the SC Battery. My understanding is it is the same capacity as the GS430, which essentially is what an SC is with a different body, and they don't have issues. This wasn't reported for new vehicles so I think it is just a case of the batteries losing capacity or dirt on the top of them contributing to self-discharge. Has anybody measured the parasitic current draw from the Battery after 10 mins form setting the alarm? - In any event this isn't an issue on the RX300, only the 400h has problems in this area.

thanks Colin,I think your comments on the 5 speed box on the series 11 confirms my choice.

Pleased to see the Battery drain is not an RX300 problem,its a real pain in the backside ( allbeit the only one ) on the SC430.

Hello Jeff

I have a Rx350 with an lpg convention only had it a couple of weeks but can say its cheap to buy gas 59p a litre and getting 17-19 round town24on a run

The conversion was carried out in 2011 only thing I have been told to watch is the valve lubricant system and keep it topped up

Being new to lexus and and only my second automatic I think the gear change is smooth in normal traffic but when my foot seems to get heavy it is noticeable .......

My RX has 68000 on the clock and seems fine

Hope this is of help I may know more in a few months when I get more used to it

Regards another Jeff

My 03 Mk2 RX300 with 74,000+ miles on the clock has smooth gear shifts during heavy, or light footed, driving. There is sometimes a slight surge from taking off from stationary, this could be caused by my lack of throttle control!

The Battery (new in 05/2012) was fully charged using a Battery charger before going on holiday. 20 days later the Battery voltage measured 12.31 volts (Digital voltmeter) ,which I would estimate as holding up to a 60% charge level.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links