Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lhd Headlight

Oldfellah

Good morning.

I am planning to buy a SC 430 ( 2006 onwards) in the next couple of months and will be registering it in France where I have a home. My problem is finding out where I can obtain a pair of LHD headlights to replace the RHD that will be on the car. I would appreciate and help that fellow members can give as, much as I love the SC 430, unless I can resolve this problem I will not be able to purchase one !

many thanks, Jim.

Hello and welcome to the LOC.

Other than buying a LHD pair from a Lexus dealer at great expense you could buy a used pair from somewhere like eBay.com. and then switch them over.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR2.TRC1.A0.Xlexus+sc430+headlight&_nkw=lexus+sc430+headlight&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Unless you can find a LHD model being broken in France or perhaps Germany.

Thanks Peter.

It certainly would seem that the USA is the best best for me however my only concern is whether or not the USA SC430 has the same specs. and fittings as a European model. Perhaps someone could comment on this.

Thanks Peter.

It certainly would seem that the USA is the best best for me however my only concern is whether or not the USA SC430 has the same specs. and fittings as a European model. Perhaps someone could comment on this.

I dont think its worth worrying about for lighting issues maybe some emission control differences bet even then not a real concern... .. If its left hand drive it should be OK. I have never had an issue buying from the states for most cars and its usually very economical.

Hi Peter.

I perhaps have not made my situation clear. It is just the LHD headlights that I will be looking for and certainly not contemplating bringing a car over from the States. Thanks for the reply anyway.

Hi Peter.

I perhaps have not made my situation clear. It is just the LHD headlights that I will be looking for and certainly not contemplating bringing a car over from the States. Thanks for the reply anyway.

No I I was thinking all spares seem to be compatible with few differences between European UK and USA versions only certain engine emissions spares etc. have to be, to meet different regulations.

If you do a search on the forum this question has been asked before, and the general consensus from members who have made enquiries with Lexus dealers is that LHD conversion isn't necessary, as the headlight beam isn't biased to the left or right. This is confirmed by owners both in the UK and on the continent.

If you do a search on the forum this question has been asked before, and the general consensus from members who have made enquiries with Lexus dealers is that LHD conversion isn't necessary, as the headlight beam isn't biased to the left or right. This is confirmed by owners both in the UK and on the continent.

Hi Paul.

I have been talking to Lexus dealers and they all seem to think that I will need new headlights but cannot quote to supply them !! Could you give me a link to previous posts on this subject because I am unable to find anything. Many thanks, Jim.

I wrote to Lexus Customer Services and they said I'd be fine - but perhaps check your lights before you go just in case - I've pasted their latter body below FYI

The set up of the headlamp is such that the light shines in a horizontal flat beam which our technical team are confidant will not require deflectors. However unless checked the vehicle may have a small amount of kick up that can dazzle the drivers of oncoming vehicles. Therefore we would recommend that you contact your local Lexus Centre to check if your vehicle requires the headlamps adjusting

I wrote to Lexus Customer Services and they said I'd be fine - but perhaps check your lights before you go just in case - I've pasted their latter body below FYI

The set up of the headlamp is such that the light shines in a horizontal flat beam which our technical team are confidant will not require deflectors. However unless checked the vehicle may have a small amount of kick up that can dazzle the drivers of oncoming vehicles. Therefore we would recommend that you contact your local Lexus Centre to check if your vehicle requires the headlamps adjusting

Now that is welcome news Shaun, many thanks.

I remember the days when people like us who drove on the right side of the road (the left) used to have to fix lenses(sometimes plastic and sometimes stick on) over their lights to drive on the continent. Those days have long gone. I have not seen such equipment for sale for years. Seems to me the reason must be that the slight difference between left and right bias is no not considered enough to be an issue. So why should it be an issue with right and left hand drive cars?. Have to admit I am so anti European I wont even consider going there let alone driving. My holidays are spent in places that actually like Brits and drive on the left (Thailand, Japan, Singapore, Malaya etc etc) We have much more in common with these countries and the EU sucks. Vote UKIP

• 2 months later...

I have just had my SC430 passed without changing the headlights - thank goodness !!! As some of you chaps have advised it would seem that the flat beam is acceptable for both LHD and RHD so I fortunately have saved the cost of buying replacement headlights !!! Pheeeww.

One thing I do notice is that the main beam is very low and cannot find a switch to adjust it as I can do on my other cars. Is it possible to raise the beam at all from inside the car or is it a spanner and screwdriver job ?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links