Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Which Is The Right Bank?

Ian Lord

I have just identified (with piece of wire in diagnostic socket fault code 28) that the reason my engine warning light comes on is the oxygen sensor (up stream above cat) on the right bank has failed.

Can anyone advise is RIGHT BANK from drivers seat? or from outside with bonnet open?

Or maybe its time to replace both?

I can see from lexls what needs to be done, but has anyone in UK forum done this? and is there a good UK source for the parts as they seem expensive, and which make is best fit i.e. Bosch etc.

Any feed back would be welcome,

Many thanks

IAN

All references to left and right are taken from the driver's point of view siting in the driver's seat looking forwrd be it a LHD or RHD.

So right engine bank is the intake side where the throttle body etc is located.

I recently fitted 2 new O2 sensors and used cheapo eBay universal replacements which involves a little wiring ( joints included) to the original loom and plug.

You need to get as much height as possible to get to the sensors but no special tools are required.

The connector plug is a little awkward to release but once this is done I used a 22mm ring spanner (push the plug through it 1st) to release the sensor then unscrew by hand.

The new sensors are coated with anti seize compound but you need to align the threads very carefully when refitting i.e. make sure the sensor is square to the hole and only finger tighten until established.

As I mentioned I used universal sensors so you will need to cut off the original plug and fit this to the replacement, ferrules and heat shrink sleeving is supplied ( you will need a crimping tool), The instructions also provide the wire colours from OEM to the replacement.

It took me about an hour to do both on mine.

• Like 1

I stand corrected, sorry to Ian for the mis-information.

I mistakenly thought that being as cylinder no 1 is always front of engine any directions were taken from front of car.

Thanks Steve for your excellent reply/advice.

It was exactly what I needed to know, and should be helpfull to other "Lexus Lovers"

Could you expand on the Brand of 02 sensor used as I undertand some will not fit female thread correctly?

From what you say the actual physical operation of the sensors are universal and not specific to lexus which I understand requires 4 wire sensors as they are heated..

regards

IAN

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Steve,

Got the oxygen sensors from your recomended source, but they were the wrong type of fitting as my LS400 is 1990 the oxygen sensor has a flange with 2 x bolts so returned to supplier who credited my card account same day. I then tried to find the correct type, it seems the 1990-1994 poss 1995 have this type later models changed to screw in type. Lexus dealer wanted £165 each Plus VAT so that would be just short of £400.00 for the pair!!!Argh

I eventually found 2 of the correct sensors on eBay (oldcar parts in warwick) from 1994 model, £27 each so I got the 2.

These were changed and the problem has been solved. (no lumpy tick over and much better aceleration etc)

The only outstanding issue is the engine check light,

I did the remove fuse stuff as per lexls website which should clear the fault code and stop the light comming on, just did the code check agian and I an now getting code 55 N2 knock sensor, so now need to address this issue. Do you have any feed back on how to solve this, I read it can often be the cable or connections rather than the knock sensor. would welcome your feedback also where is this located, is it easy to get at?

Regards

Ian

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links