Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How Do You Tighten Aerial Ls400 Mk4

Hi all

I noticed recently my rear screen was fogging up all the time and the boot smelt damp, so I pulled all the carpets out and found water down by the sat nav unit and in the wheel well, I dried it out and have removed the carpets so I can treat all the surface rust

The aerial is quite loose but I can't figure out how to tighten it up, any tips much appreciated

Cheers.

The boot seal is usually the culprit for a waterlogged boot, remove the seal and you will probably find the lip is very rusty also.

Clean all the rust off then treat with anti rust and paint over. If the seal is undamaged clean it thouroughly and refit with a good smear of silicon sealant around the lip.

You can also buy new seal rubber for around £30.00.

Parking with the car facing uphill may also resulting in water overflowing into the boot area also.

There are rubber bungs in the spare wheel well and under the sat nav to help drain the areas,just poke them through and recover from under the car.

The aerial is retained externally with a threaded locknut it has 2 slots in it to assist tightening, do not overtighten as it is plastic.

Yes you need to remove the black trim across the rear of the boot opening, at both sides on the vertical sections there are a couple of nylon push fixings, prize these out pull the ends out then lift the whole trim piece up to disengage the bottom clips, some may stay in the metalwork if so prize them out and refit to the trim.

They are quite tight but nothing will break whilst tugging.

Once that is out of the way the rubber seal simply pulls off and then over the boot lid.

I also tend to mark the rubber seal with marker pen in the 2 top corners to make sure it goes back in the same place as it tends to lose its shape when removed.

Once the rubber is removed you will also see a black metal trim piece that fits between the rear window and the boot, no end of crap gets stuck under this so I would advise also taking this off and cleaning both it and the area underneath it.

The bits around the corners of the drain channel are held on with double sided tape and the centre section is again nylon clips ( these tend to be left behind so will need removing and refitting to the trim, they do slide to assist realignment with the holes)

Replace the double sided tape on refitting.

Just an update

I removed the seal today, the lip was quite rusty so I ground back and treated all the rust and refitted with some silicon adhesive, most of the water was coming in through the aerial as it was loose, I removed the rubber boot and put a bead of adhesive silicon around it, now all tight and no leaks that I can see

I still have not put the carpets back as they are drying out indoors, I also bought a couple of moisture traps , one in the boot and one in rear footwell, so soon the rear screen might stop fogging up all time!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links