Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I need to replace my cracked windscreen but the insurance company I am with only allow you to use there own glass people which is called Chauncer glass. They use a like for like product produced by pilkington glass which is a reputable glass company.

Has anyone had any dealings or have any recommendations.

The OEM glass is manufactured by Pilkington too so it's practically the same thing.

If your car has the wiper deicers then make sure you mention this to them.

Is the glass acoustic or is that just a myth.

I seem to remember that it was advertised with acoustic dampening properties, something to do with an "ear" mark on the glass, but I don't seem to have that on both my cars. Also , in a previous post on this forum, some one had mentioned that you need to get the two plastic trim parts on the lower-outside, or ask the installer to bring with him, because they usually get damaged during removal/install, or something like that.

The OEM glass is manufactured by Pilkington too so it's practically the same thing.

No Idea.

There is a somebody in here who fits windscreens for a living so would be able to help you a lot better.

Can't remember who it was.

I found this although no mention of acoustic.

Finally, the most important thing to be sure of with your fitter when he comes, is to make sure her has a set of new clips for the side trims. I don't care how good you think you are, no one saves all the clips. I've saved some, but not all, and in the case of the 2nd Gen IS (and the GS for that matter) there's no point reusing the clips even if you do save them. New clips is the name of the game with these cars! Secondly, make a point to mention the top trim - on the 2nd Gen IS, the top trim is a small flap of rubber fitted to the UNDERSIDE of the top edge of the glass. This "flaps up" against the aperture when the glass is laid in (the same type of thing can be seen on a number of cars, including the 2nd Gen Yaris, the 2nd Gen Prius, and a similar style is used on later Mercs, Audi's, VW's, etc. In most cases, even with a dealer supplied glass, the trim is not fitted to the screen from the factory. It has to be applied by hand at time of fitting. Some fitters don't fit the new trim. I can understand why - 1) it's a PITA to get it on straight. 2) Sometimes laying it in can cause the trim to lift, and not be level when the screen it fitted. And 3) the "new look" for screens lately is "floating glass" - where there is no trim on, around, or over the glass, but instead a small gap (3-5mm) around the edge, giving the effect the glass is floating. Of course, this is NOT the fitters choice to make, as it's NOT their car! It's YOURS! So whilst some people might think "Oh, I don't want to be a nuisance" and I fully understand some people don't like to tell a professional how to do their job (and in most cases I wouldn't suggest you do so, because I'm on the other end of that stick more than you'd imagine, and it's properly annoying!) but it's something I've seen enough on these particular cars (and not just these, but since this is about IS's, then it's pertinent) to warrant making a point of it.

No Idea.

There is a somebody in here who fits windscreens for a living so would be able to help you a lot better.

Can't remember who it was.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links