Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Recently (last few months, so wasn't originally there previously), got a creaking sound (like two objects rubbing together) on my MY07 GS300 (40k miles). Sounds like it's coming from either the driver's door, B pillar, rear door or driver's seat. Which, I do not know but initially it "sounds" like the door panel but that could be deceptive due to the way sound travels (which makes me think it could be seat or rear door related).

The creak happens when turning left (moreso at low speeds) and sometimes when driving straight on rough/untarmacked roads (e.g. tracks, car parks etc.). Turning right doesn't seem to have the same issue (or if so, may be somewhat fainter).

I have tried "holding" the seat, door card etc. to try and diagnose the source but that hasn't revealed anything (still creaks). I have also tried to (when stationary) rattle/push the door, seat, card etc. but doesn't make the creak with those tests.

Any ideas as to what it is and what DIY things I can check (I maintained cars in past so have tools etc.)

The problem with this type of issue is that each rattle,
creak and squeak can come from a different part on each person’s car.

It could also be temperature related, in the cold weather
trim contracts, witch could cause the noise, does the noise improve when the
interior of the car warms up?.

I had a very small creak coming from my front passenger
door, like most quiet noises its some thing only I seem to be able to hear, so I
was very surprised when I took it into Lexes that there mechanic said that he
had also herd it, he put it down to the noise coming from the rubber door trim
and sprayed it with something that had to be left for 4 hours to soak in, this solved the problem for a few
month but unfortunately the noise has come back, so I will have to get them to
have another look when I have the car serviced in June.

• 2 weeks later...

PROBLEM SOLVED!

Searching around, there was a Lexus repair guide for a creak from the seat ("seat locating pin"). Basically there are two guide pins the protrude down from the seat rails (near the front bolt) that are only used in the manufacturing process (to locate the seat rails correctly). Once the seat has been bolted down, these pins have no purpose, other than (after a time) to create a rather annoying creak!

Tools required:

Flat blade screwdriver (gaffer tape the end to prevent scratches to trim)

14mm socket (for seat bolts)

Small hacksaw or power cutting tool (to cut pin off)

Something to hold up seat whilst cutting pin (I used an axle stand, being careful not to damage anything under the seat!).

Anyway, there is a guide online somewhere but the simple solution is:

1. Remove trim covering seat bolts (put seat forward, then back to make this easier). screwdrivers should be all you need, care not to break the trim!

2. Undo seat bolts (x4).

3. Disconnect negative Battery terminal and wait 90 secs at least (airbag sensors etc. in seat have power backup)

4. Move seat back and tip up the front, making sure no underseat cables are snagged.

5. You should be able to see a guide pin that goes down through the floor. Cut pin off as close to flush with the seat rail as possible (best to leave plastic cover on pin there for ease of cutting - I used a hacksaw - so to not scratch seat rail (not that that would matter as it's unseen).

6. I put a small cutoff of sponge covered in cloth (1 inch square or so) to cover the hole where the guide pin goes - so end of cutoff pin doesn't scratch/rub and create a different creak!!

7. Hoover up any mess

7. Bolt back seats, re-connect Battery and replace trim (that covers bolts).

8. Get annoyed at trip computer reset and window reset learn, seat position re-program etc. :D

10. Take for test drive and be well chuffed with the fix!

11. Treat with a cup of tea.

Took me about an hour all in. If you're handy with tools, it's a reasonably simple job. I'd advise getting the pdf tsp thing online before starting (my instructions are a summary but should be all their is to it, the guide says to disconnect seat cables and remove seat but no guide as to how to undo seat belt! all unnecessary anyway, tipping the seat up gives to access to cut the pins)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links