Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Trapped Air Radiator/heater Matrix

Hey guys,

Anybody able to advise on this. I had the infamous gurgling/sloshing water sound on start up from behind the dash.

So I burped the system, I've now done it 3 times.

Raise front of car, rad cap off, heaters on hot and set to maximum and start the car. Let it go through a few cycles of Fans on/off and topping up coolant as the air escapes the top of the rad. When bubbles stop appearing, on with the rad cap.

The last time I did this procedure a week ago it took me 2 hours and all has been fine since. But today the gurgling returned

Now before people shout Head Gasket.... It's not.

Coolant and oil not mixing

No excessive exhaust smoke

No sweet coolant smell from exhaust or heaters

No loss of coolant

No coolant is spark plug chambers

All heaters work perfectly

Car has never overheated in my ownership

Car is smooth and idles perfectly.

Sniff test done about 5 weeks ago, no combustion gases in the coolant.

So.... Anybody had this problem before? Can't get rid of all the air in the system? It's driving me crazy now! Lol..

Have a search on the 'my IS' united states site, this is a known problem over there and a number of fixes have been tried including the 'on the ramps' !!

Thanks guys, yeah I've been all over My.IS.

It is a really common problem on the 300 apparently. No it's not too much to be worried about it just annoys me.

So the advice I've received from the guys in the states is....

It's a massive cooling system, 1 guy took 3 and half hours to burp his

Get it on a steep hill or ramp so the front of the car is higher than 45 degrees

And be extremely patient

Guess I'll be having a fun Friday evening tonight lol :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links