Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Switch from IS250?

My IS250, as fine as it is, will not last forever and I have started to track the ES as a potential replacement. The change would of course be conditional on a reasonable insurance quote; it makes no sense to improve the gas mileage from 30mpg to 50mpg if the savings are vitiated by a gross uplift in insurance cost. (I have followed closely the saga of canbus thefts.)

My question is more, how will it differ to own and drive? It is obviously larger, and front-wheel drive — will it feel cumbersome? (Though I have had two V6 Toyota Camrys in the past, which must be similarish.)

I would appreciate any impressions owners might care to share, especially any who have made this change.

Make sure that you have a test drive in one. It was pretty good but not for me. Ended up with an IS200t which everyone on here, except, me hates. I like it, but maybe I am old fashioned?🫢.

BTW - no Canbus I am told. And no CVT, just good old fashioned engineering - tried and tested 100% No problems since new April 2017. If you get the opportunity try one out and judge for yourself.

Hmmm yes the IS200T, one is still for sale up north, a silver Premier with very low miles and a perfect service history. (Discussed in another thread here.) It's not impossible that because it's old-school ICE, and a known quantity, it gets a break on insurance cost. I certainly do on the IS250...though maybe that's because it's old.

• Like 1

Check out the old threads particularly Linas' opinions. But as they say "Chacun a son gout"  Sorry about that I lived in France for 20 yrs and some expressions are priceless.

The Is200t is a very odd car and homework needs to be done, but then again I like cars with character and "what some may consider faults". For me it's interesting - like old school turbos - don't expect a quick getaway from the traffic lights, but it will go like the clappers from 50mph on.😄

BTW Insurance last yr (November) £ 435 fully comp 3 yrs no claims.  27 mpg Av🙃. 145 mph on the *** and still picking up speed😊until The plod fear set in.

I can see that would work as a personal car used primarily for recreational motoring, and to judge by the service record of that silver 200T, that is exactly how it was used. But I'm afraid ours has to double up as a domestic beast of burden, where the hybrid power train comes into its own. Btw my insurance is less than two-thirds of yours — you could have knocked me down with the proverbial feather when I got my revised quote through.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2024 at 7:49 PM, MartinH said:

My IS250, as fine as it is, will not last forever and I have started to track the ES as a potential replacement. The change would of course be conditional on a reasonable insurance quote; it makes no sense to improve the gas mileage from 30mpg to 50mpg if the savings are vitiated by a gross uplift in insurance cost. (I have followed closely the saga of canbus thefts.)

My question is more, how will it differ to own and drive? It is obviously larger, and front-wheel drive — will it feel cumbersome? (Though I have had two V6 Toyota Camrys in the past, which must be similarish.)

I would appreciate any impressions owners might care to share, especially any who have made this change.

You'd soon get used to the extra size of the ES. Admittedly I always look for easy parking spaces now, but then I'm not the world's best parker. You'd need to get accustomed to performing 20 point turns to get out of some tight spaces however. I wouldn't say it feels cumbersome to drive - I've had some quite spirited drives on cross country roads. As for FWD vs RWD, I don't feel that I miss RWD at all. 

3 hours ago, Mincey said:

As for FWD vs RWD, I don't feel that I miss RWD at all. 

I think you only really notice FWD vs RWD when you are "racing" it. Otherwise RWD is rubbish in snow and FWD has less feel and some torque steer. Normal driving reveals no real "everyday" differences as far as I know.

BTW  - RWD - traction control off+sport mode can induce some nice opposite lock wheelspins ( Not that I would dare to do that now at my age )🤫

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links