Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

The Perils Of Buying A Used Car

Hi Jon, Lexus consider a 75k shock absorber which fails is due to 'wear and tear' so the dealer wont have any luck there.

I Bought the car more or less 50/50 with p/x my 460 and the rest paid with debit card.

I'll see what the dealer says Monday.

I'm sorry but I can't make it any clearer The Dealer IS responsible & that liability could extend (in law) to 6 years after the fault was discovered. The warranty you were sold is meaningless if it attempts to restrict your legal rights (& most do). You have mush better rights under the existing law. Also if your debit card is Visa like a credit card they comply with Section 75 of the CCA 1974 meaning you can request your money be refunded

PS also your 'contract' is with the dealer NOT Lexus My advice is do not let the dealer fob you off by claiming the manufacture will not honour the warranty. That's his problem not yours. If in doubt speak to a competent consumer law solicitor

If your debit card was Visa , you have a chance ...Visa offer a charge back facility unlike MasterCard debit cards....but the unfortunately the debit cards are not covered by the credit card legislation.... Talk to your bank and see what they say....but really you should just get the dealer to fix the problem or return the car ...

Shiner

Visa are They comply with section 75 of the CCA 1974

But isn't the starter motor repair kit £13 or summat + labour ??

Malc

Yup the 'motor' never goes wrong its the contacts that corrode which cost £13 of eBay AND the guy who supplies them has been involved with Desmo Starters most of his working life

If your debit card was Visa , you have a chance ...Visa offer a charge back facility unlike MasterCard debit cards....but the unfortunately the debit cards are not covered by the credit card legislation.... Talk to your bank and see what they say....but really you should just get the dealer to fix the problem or return the car ...

Shiner

Visa are They comply with section 75 of the CCA 1974

Hi Jon

You are right Visa try to give you the protection that the section 75 gives you....I now realise so do MasterCard and American Express ( which is not a credit card...BTW )

But strangely these cards are not covered by section 75 ......

On the other hand they cover cost of items without any limits by a scheme which wis known as chargeback .....whereas .....

Credit cards whilst covered by section 75.... the range of cover is from items costing between £100 to £30000.

Shiner

It should be known that ALL of the card companies recently tried in vain to have section 75 of the CCA scrapped particularly for goods and services bought abroad AND they are STILL lobbying for such an outcome

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update. Had my shock absorber replaced by Lexus Guildford at a cost of £923. I paid and I was hoping Brindley Honda would phone me and say they've received the paperwork from Lexus and ''the cheques in the post''

No such luck. They phoned me yesterday and said the part wasn't covered, they're sorry, but as a goodwill gesture they would offer me half of the cost (£460).

Not sure what to do now, Any suggestions?

Thanks, Graham.

Just a quick update. Had my shock absorber replaced by Lexus Guildford at a cost of £923. I paid and I was hoping Brindley Honda would phone me and say they've received the paperwork from Lexus and ''the cheques in the post''

No such luck. They phoned me yesterday and said the part wasn't covered, they're sorry, but as a goodwill gesture they would offer me half of the cost (£460).

Not sure what to do now, Any suggestions?

Thanks, Graham.

Sorry to hear this Graham, My advice is, first take the offered £460. it makes no difference what you do after that, except do not ever do business with the this dealer again.

This forum will be aware of the lack of commitment to the customer from this dealership.

When you have the £460 in your account and not before, I think you should show the dealership this thread, maybe (hopefully) it will rethink its policies. William

• Like 1

I hope I am not breaking any rules by offering a link.....

Here's a link from Honest John...scroll down read the heading "during the first six months"....

You might wish to read the whole article if having difficulty in sleeping

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/consumer-rights/

Shiner

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links