Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is220D "sport"

V8johnboy

Hey All,

I'm reaching out for a little advice and piece of mind in all honesty. We are seriously pondering over the purchase of a 2006 220D Sport with 72000 miles one owner full history blah blah. I would probably have gone and bought the thing Saturday if it wasn't for what i read on this forum in all honesty some of the recurring problems scared the life out of me!! :msn-oh: Having owned a 2002 IS in the past and enjoyed 5 years bullet proof reliability i was both shocked and disappointed with what i read about this particular model. :msn-cry:

Obviously there's the odd lemon with every manufacturer i get that but assumed i was safe as could be with a Lexus :yawn:

Bottom line is i'm at a crossroads stick with the car i have or take the plunge with the above, It's diesel or nothing wifey won't entertain the petrol models even though i try and tell her their better! :yahoo:

Any advice/pointer's as to yes or no would be great i really am a little stuck. :blush:

Thanks in advance for your time,

John.

Firstly welcome to the LOC.

You have obviously been searching the forums having gleaned that there are problems with the 220d engine.

Main thing to check is for a full service history and whether any work has been done under warranty previously regarding the engine rebuild.

Add in the EGR and DPF problems associated with all modern diesels.

The engine if I remember correctly is based on the Toyota Avensis D4D engine built in Eastern Europe.

Lexus also extended the warranty for this problem to 107,000 miles provided it has a FLSH but not sure if the age is a factor in this so check carefully.

Personally I would buy the IS250,put a diesel engine noise CD in the stereo and tell the wife it is a diesel ( just don't let her fill it up :) )

MPG between the 2 is minimal.

Thank's for your help Steve and the friendly welcome :D I'm going to email Lexus UK and see if the age of the thing is an issue or not based on your info. I spent all day yesterday trying to convince the wife that the auto petrol model has a flappy padel thing just like an F1 car how good is that i said! All i did was make things worse she replied F1 huh hmmm sounds expensive.............sigh :rolleyes:

Hi john

I read all the reviews before I took the plunge! I have always had bmw before but needed a change and I am very happy that I did!

diesels need more attention we all know that you hear of EGR and. Dpf problems but all diesels have this problem be it BMW or LEXUS! I'm not the biggest diesel fan but if you get a well looked after one that has full lexus history it should look after you.

MPG is a saw subject with a lot of 220 owners it is a heavy car so if you push it it will drink the fuel. I get an average of about 500 to 550 miles on a tank at £70. I'm happy!

• Like 1

Thanks for that Martin looks like i'll be blaming you then sir :winky: Seriously though iv'e done some more digging today and the dealer tells me it has a full Lexus service history from birth. From what i can gather the original owner (there was only one) sounds like he looked after it very well. The salesmen even rang Lexus today for me to see if there was any warranty work done or recall stuff outstanding on the car and there wasn't. If i can negotiate enough px for my Cupra R it looks like i'll be climbing back on the Lexy ladder. The "Sport" model looks mighty sexy tbh! :driving:

Thanks for that Martin looks like i'll be blaming you then sir :winky: Seriously though iv'e done some more digging today and the dealer tells me it has a full Lexus service history from birth. From what i can gather the original owner (there was only one) sounds like he looked after it very well. The salesmen even rang Lexus today for me to see if there was any warranty work done or recall stuff outstanding on the car and there wasn't. If i can negotiate enough px for my Cupra R it looks like i'll be climbing back on the Lexy ladder. The "Sport" model looks mighty sexy tbh! :driving:

Good luck, it sounds like a good one mine has full lexus history and has been great!

keep your eye out for bubbling rims I saw a few when looking for mine.

Good luck, it sounds like a good one mine has full lexus history and has been great!

keep your eye out for bubbling rims I saw a few when looking for mine.

Thank's pal, lol funny you say that mate it was one of the first thing's i asked the dealer. I remember how awful the alloys were on my old IS200 :wacko: . He tells me there's a little sign of corrosion on one of the spokes which i can live with tbh. Always the option of a refurb later on i guess. Iv'e got a set of car seat covers waiting in my eBay watch list that beige interior looks like its asking for trouble with my 2 kids!! :lol:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links